• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Limiting values of x for particle under force

• Thread starter MikeN
  • Start date

Homework Statement

This problem is from Kibble and Berkshire's Classical mechanics (Fifth edition), Chapter 2, Question 20.
A particle of mass [itex]m[/itex] moves in the region [itex]x > 0[/itex] under the force [itex]F = -m\omega^2\left(x-\frac{a^4}{x^3}\right)[/itex] where [itex]\omega[/itex] and [itex]a[/itex] are constants. The particle is initially at the position of equilibrium ([itex]x=a[/itex]) and is moving with a velocity [itex]v[/itex], find the limiting values of [itex]x[/itex] in the subsequent motion.

Homework Equations

[tex]F(x) = -m\omega^2\left(x-\frac{a^4}{x^3}\right)[/tex]
[tex]V(x) = \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2\left(x^2+\frac{a^4}{x^2}\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From conservation of energy, [tex]\Delta K=-\Delta V[/tex]
The initial kinetic energy is [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex], the particle is at the furthest point when the velocity is zero, therefore the final kinetic energy is zero. The initial potential is [itex]V(a)[/itex] and the final is [itex]V(x)[/itex].
[tex]0-\frac{1}{2}mv^2=-\left(\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2 \left(x^2+\frac{a^4}{x^2}\right)-m\omega^2 a^2\right)[/tex]
The answer given in the book is:
[tex]x=\sqrt{a^2+\frac{v^2}{4\omega^2}}\pm\frac{v}{2\omega}[/tex]
Plugging some values into this and comparing with my setup shows that I'm going wrong somewhere.

Solving my equation for [itex]x[/itex] gives:
[tex]x^2=\frac{v^2}{2\omega^2}+a^2\pm\frac{v}{\omega}\sqrt{\frac{v^2}{4\omega^2}+a^2}[/tex]
which is actually fairly similar to the answer in the book after it's squared, except my answer is missing a term ([itex]\frac{v^2}{4\omega^2}[/itex]) but I can't see where this comes from.

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
which is actually fairly similar to the answer in the book
More similar than you realise, it seems.

Haha, I feel silly now. When I copied the answer from the book down onto paper I had a 2 inside of the square root instead of the 4. Thank you!