1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limiting values of x for particle under force

1. Jun 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This problem is from Kibble and Berkshire's Classical mechanics (Fifth edition), Chapter 2, Question 20.
    A particle of mass [itex]m[/itex] moves in the region [itex]x > 0[/itex] under the force [itex]F = -m\omega^2\left(x-\frac{a^4}{x^3}\right)[/itex] where [itex]\omega[/itex] and [itex]a[/itex] are constants. The particle is initially at the position of equilibrium ([itex]x=a[/itex]) and is moving with a velocity [itex]v[/itex], find the limiting values of [itex]x[/itex] in the subsequent motion.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]F(x) = -m\omega^2\left(x-\frac{a^4}{x^3}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]V(x) = \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2\left(x^2+\frac{a^4}{x^2}\right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    From conservation of energy, [tex]\Delta K=-\Delta V[/tex]
    The initial kinetic energy is [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex], the particle is at the furthest point when the velocity is zero, therefore the final kinetic energy is zero. The initial potential is [itex]V(a)[/itex] and the final is [itex]V(x)[/itex].
    [tex]0-\frac{1}{2}mv^2=-\left(\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2 \left(x^2+\frac{a^4}{x^2}\right)-m\omega^2 a^2\right)[/tex]
    The answer given in the book is:
    [tex]x=\sqrt{a^2+\frac{v^2}{4\omega^2}}\pm\frac{v}{2\omega}[/tex]
    Plugging some values into this and comparing with my setup shows that I'm going wrong somewhere.

Solving my equation for [itex]x[/itex] gives:
    [tex]x^2=\frac{v^2}{2\omega^2}+a^2\pm\frac{v}{\omega}\sqrt{\frac{v^2}{4\omega^2}+a^2}[/tex]
    which is actually fairly similar to the answer in the book after it's squared, except my answer is missing a term ([itex]\frac{v^2}{4\omega^2}[/itex]) but I can't see where this comes from.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

More similar than you realise, it seems.

4. Jun 18, 2016 #3
    Haha, I feel silly now. When I copied the answer from the book down onto paper I had a 2 inside of the square root instead of the 4. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted