1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits and continuity test questions

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2. Show that the function is continuous on the given interval.
    (a)f(x)= (2x+3)/(x-2) range:(2, infinity)

(b)f(x) = 1- sqrt(1-x^2) range:[-1,1]

3. Prove that the following limits do not exist.
    (a) lim x tends to 0 ( absolute|x|/x)

(b) lim x tends to 3 (2x/(x-3))

4.Find the limit of the function

f(x) = x^2 if x=/= 0
    2 if x=0

at the point (a) x=-1; (b) x=0; (c) x=sqrt(2)

5. Find all values of a such that f is continuous on (-infinity, infinity):
    (a)
    f(x)= x+1 if x<=a
    x^2 if x>a

(b) f(x) = (x^2 + a)/(x-1) if x=/=1
    2 if x =1

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can I answer question 2a and 2b by writing out statements to prove that they are continuous? If that is not allowed, how do I prove that they are continuous?

I know 2a is continuous on (2, infinity) because 2x + 3 and x - 2 are polynomials and the only point of discontinuity occurs at x=2 as that will cause the denominator to be zero. I also know that for 2b, lim x tends to a f(x) =f(a) when -1<=a<=1 so f(x) is continuous on [-1, 1]. But how do I SHOW it on the paper?

For question 3a, Can I show that left hand side limit = -1 while right hand side limit = 1, and since left hand side limit is not = to right hand side limit, the limit doesn't exist. For question 3b, do I do the left hand and right hand limit test again or do I just substitute in x=3?

For question 4, I believe I should just substitute in the x-values when x=-1 and x= sqrt(2). To find the limit for x=0, I could find the left and right hand limit to conclude that lim x tends to 0 is equal to 0. I think that's how it should be done, but it seems too easy to be true.

As for question 5, I don't have any ideas on how I should start or what I should do, so I hope that someone could guide me on that.

Many thanks.

P.S. If my attempt is not informative enough or unsatisfactory, I guess I could try writing it more mathematically.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2012 #2
    You can show 2a and 2b directly with the epsilon-delta-definition of continuity. So calculate what is f(x)-f(y) and show that this can be made arbitrarily small by putting x close to y.

For 3, your strategy is sound. You can see in 3b that the limit is +infinity from one side and -infinity from another.

4 is correct.

For 5, you can probably see that the functions may be discontinuous in a single point. It may help if you just plot the functions and see when they cross at the correct point. So for example in a), you'd plot f(x) = x+1 and g(x) = x^2 and see where they intersect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook