Limits, Continuity and Calculus in 3D Space

In summary, a guide for Calculus in 3D is being created with definitions, practice questions and examples. The concept of limits is explained as a measurement of how close a function can get to a specific value, with the limit being the value the function is approaching. However, not all functions have a limit, as they must approach from both sides and be defined at the value. Continuity is defined as when the limit of a function at a point is equal to the value of the function at that point. Partial derivatives are explained as fixing one variable and deriving in terms of the other variable. Second derivatives can be found by repeating this process.
Aftermarth
Ok, i am hoping we can (owing to the large amounts of questions in the homework help on stuff like this) create a nice guide for Calculus in 3D including definitions, practise questions and general examples.

Firstly, i know something i really do not like is Limits.
My textbook gives the definition of:

"Suppose l is a real number. Then the limit of f(x), as x approaches c, is equal to l if for any number e > 0 there exists a number d >0 such that |f(x) - l | < e whenever 0 < | x - c | < d"

now, in terms that i can understand ( i hate the way that is all shoved into one sentence there has to be someone who can break it up so that it makes sense!) i have found this definition:

I tell you how close I need to be, and you can tell me what I have to do to be that close. (from http://www.karlscalculus.org/calc2.html )

ok now. this needs to be related back.

lim f(x) = L
x > a

This is the limit of f(x) as x approaches a. No worries there. Now what is L?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Aftermarth said:
lim f(x) = L
x > a

This is the limit of f(x) as x approaches a. No worries there. Now what is L?
Thanks for taking the time to write a tutorial.

Are you asking a question here, or is this part of your tutorial?

its part of the tutorial :) haha.
I am learning this stuff now, and i thought the best way to understand it myself would be to provide a large thread here where everyone can contribute to it.

so, as i am still learning this myself i am guaranteed to make mistakes, so please fix them up for me ( but remember, keep the jargon to use only where it is needed and necessary)

The idea of limits is quite annoying and abstract, but when you understand it, it fits perfectly.
c is a value for which x is approaching (but does not necessarily need to touch as the function may be undefined at c)
L is the limit of the function (what the function is approaching at the value of x = c)

(again correct me if i am wrong)

But functions do not always have a limit. For there to be a limit, the function must approach c from both sides. The function does not have to be defined at c, but either side of it, it must be.

If the calculated limit from the positive direction is different to the calculated limit from the negative direction then the lim (x -> c) of f(x) does not exist. An example of this is the absolute value graph. |x| at c = 0.
The calculated limit from the negative direction is -1, and from the positive direction it is 1.
(can someone help me here with diagrams and equations please)
therefore lim (x -> 0) |x| does not exist.

Continuity

A function is continuous at any point a in its domain if:
Lim (x -> a) f(x) = f(a)

that is, the limit you calculate for x tends toward a is equal to the value of simply subbing in x = a into the equation f(x)

Partial Derivatives

Take a function of 2 variables:
F(x, y) = 3x^2 + 2xy^3 + 3y^2 + 2xy + 2x + 5y + 10

The partial derivatives are obtained by fixing one variable at a point for example (x, b) or (a, y) where a,b are the fixed points.
So, pick one variable and fix it. If you want Fx(x , y) then fix y. If you want Fy (x, y) then fix x. Once u have fixed the value, treat it like any normal constant and derive in terms of x or y.
eg.
Fx(x,y) for the function above is:
6x + 2y^3 + 2y + 2
and F y (x,y) is:
6xy^2 + 6y + 2x + 5

(its hard to integrate in terms of y cause I am so used to doing it in terms of x, but just pretend x is a constant, so any x terms to any power are a constant, and if alone will disappear)

To calculate the second derivatives just do the same again, but this time there are four second derivatives
Fxy(x,y), Fyx(x,y), Fxx(x,y), Fyy(x,y)
where Fxy is the function derived in terms of y and then again in terms of x
and Fyx is the function derived in terms of x and then agian in terms of y
and Fxx is the function derived twice in terms of x
and Fyy is the function derived twice in terms of y

1. What is the concept of a limit in 3D space?

The concept of a limit in 3D space refers to the behavior of a function as the input values approach a specific point in a three-dimensional coordinate system. It is used to determine the value that a function is approaching as the input value gets closer and closer to a particular point.

2. How is continuity defined in 3D space?

In 3D space, continuity is defined as the property of a function where there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph. This means that the function is smooth and has no holes, gaps, or jumps in its graph.

3. What is the difference between a limit and continuity in 3D space?

The main difference between a limit and continuity in 3D space is that a limit focuses on the behavior of a function at a specific point, while continuity looks at the overall behavior of the function in a particular interval. A limit is a local property, while continuity is a global property.

4. How is calculus applied in 3D space?

In 3D space, calculus is applied to analyze the behavior of functions in three-dimensional coordinate systems. It is used to find the slope of a curve, calculate the rate of change, and determine the maximum and minimum values of a function in three dimensions.

5. What are some real-world applications of limits, continuity, and calculus in 3D space?

Some real-world applications of limits, continuity, and calculus in 3D space include determining the trajectory of a projectile, analyzing the flow of a fluid in three dimensions, and modeling the shape of a three-dimensional object. They are also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics.