fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award

Epsilontic – Limits and Continuity​

I remember that I had some difficulties moving from school mathematics to university mathematics. From what I read on PF through the years, I think I’m not the only one who struggled at that point. We mainly learned algorithms at school, i.e. how things are calculated. At university, I soon met a quantity called epsilon. Algorithms became almost obsolete. They used ##\varepsilon ## constantly but all we got to know was that it is a positive real number. Some said it was small but nobody said how small or small compared to what. This article is meant to introduce the reader to a world named epsilontic. There is quite a bit to say and I don’t want to bore readers with theoretical explanations. I will therefore try to explain the two basic subjects, continuity and limits, in the first two sections in terms a high school student can understand, and continue with the theoretical considerations afterward.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Drakkith, nuuskur, PhDeezNutz and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I remember it took me a while to realise if a nonnegative number is smaller than any positive number, then it would have to be zero. Then I started understanding sandwiching arguments of the form
[tex]
0\leqslant |f(x)-f(a)| \leqslant g(x) \xrightarrow[x\to a]{}0.
[/tex]
It's so obvious in retrospect, how on earth could I not understand something this simple..? o0)

nuuskur said:
I remember it took me a while to realise if a nonnegative number is smaller than any positive number, then it would have to be zero. Then I started understanding sandwiching arguments of the form
[tex]
0\leqslant |f(x)-f(a)| \leqslant g(x) \xrightarrow[x\to a]{}0.
[/tex]
It's so obvious in retrospect, how on earth could I not understand something this simple..? o0)
I think there is a general difficulty that students have to overcome when they take the step from school to university. Perspective changes from algorithmic solutions toward proofs, techniques are new, and all of it is explained at a much higher speed, if at all since you can read it by yourself in a book, no repetitions, no algorithms. There are so many new impressions and rituals that it is hard to keep up. I still draw this picture of a discontinuous function in the article sometimes to sort out the qualifiers in the definition when I want to make sure to make no mistake: which comes first and which is variable, which depends on which.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is Epsilontic in terms of limits and continuity?

Epsilontic refers to a method of proving limits and continuity in calculus using the concept of epsilon-delta definition. It involves showing that for any given epsilon (ε) greater than zero, there exists a delta (δ) greater than zero such that if the distance between the input value and the limit is less than delta, then the distance between the output value and the limit is less than epsilon.

2. How is Epsilontic used to prove limits?

Epsilontic is used to prove limits by showing that as the input value approaches a certain point, the output value approaches a specific limit. This is done by choosing an arbitrary epsilon (ε) greater than zero and finding a corresponding delta (δ) greater than zero such that the epsilon-delta definition is satisfied.

3. What is the importance of Epsilontic in calculus?

Epsilontic is important in calculus as it provides a rigorous and formal way to prove limits and continuity. It allows for precise definitions and proofs that help in understanding the behavior of functions near a specific point. Epsilontic is also used to establish the foundation of calculus and ensure the validity of mathematical results.

4. How does Epsilontic ensure the existence of limits?

Epsilontic ensures the existence of limits by demonstrating that for any given epsilon (ε) greater than zero, there exists a delta (δ) greater than zero such that the epsilon-delta definition is satisfied. This means that as the input value approaches a certain point, the output value approaches a specific limit within a certain range determined by epsilon and delta.

5. Can Epsilontic be applied to functions with multiple variables?

Yes, Epsilontic can be applied to functions with multiple variables by extending the epsilon-delta definition to higher dimensions. In this case, epsilon becomes a ball or a neighborhood around the limit point, and delta becomes a ball or a neighborhood around the input point. The same principles of Epsilontic can be used to prove limits and continuity for functions with multiple variables.