Limits of fractions of polynomials and trig functions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 4K views
carbz
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
I have two...

Homework Statement


The the limit


Homework Equations


[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{1-cosx}{x^2}[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I figured to just plug in 1, but I wanted to make sure...

Homework Statement


Find the limit


Homework Equations


[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 3} \frac{\sqrt{x^2-6x+9}}{x-3}[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I plugged in the 3, and got 3/0, then I got lost...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In 2, did you try simplifying the numerator? (What are the roots of the polynomial?)
 
Yes, I tried doing that.

[itex](x-3)(x-3)[/itex]

However, I forgot how to get rid of that radical. Squaring wouldn't work, so I have no idea.


Also, no thoughts on the first one?
 
(x-3}^2. Oh yeah, so that takes away the square root, and after everything, it leaves 0. thank you.
 
In the first one, are you sure the problem isn't x->0 instead of x->1 ?
 
Well, then your book has a typo..
 
Well, it's 99% certain that your teacher meant to write 0 instead of 1. With 1, it's trivial, since both the numerator and denominator are finite, nonzero constants in that limit.
 
Then he either blundered, or tried to fool you.

Your function is defined&continuous on all values of x except x=0.

Your original approach is perfetly valid in the case of x=1.