1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits of functions at infinity

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    Suppose that a function f:R to (0,infinity) has the property that f(x) tends 0 as x tends to infinity. Prove that 1/f(x) tends to infinity as x tends to infinity.

I don't really know where to start with this problem, I'm assuming it will involve some sort of epsilon proof but that's all I know. Please any help would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Write out what it means when you say that f(x) tends to zero as x tends to infinity, and think about what that means for 1/f(x).

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    If f(x) tends to zero as x tends to infinity it means that as x gets progressively larger f(x) gets smaller and smaller thus meaning that 1/f(x) gets larger and lerger but this a proof.

5. Oct 4, 2009 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

No, write out the meaning of f(x) going to zero in "epsilon" form. You have the right outline in your second post, but it isn't a proof ("hand waving" would be the description). Start with "[tex] \lim_{x \to \infty} f(x) = 0 [/tex] means that for any [tex] \epsilon > 0 [/tex] ..." and continue.

6. Oct 4, 2009 #5
    the function you have given is defined in certain interval suppose take the generalised soln into consideration and prove for soln

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook