Limits of the Path Length of B-field induced gyroradius

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the path length of a charged particle in a B-field. The equations for the path length of a helix and gyroradius are used, and the resulting expression is found to be infinite for a zero field. The conversation also questions the behavior of the particle in an infinite field and the potential limitations of applying the gyroradius in a zero field condition.
thefireman
Hi,
I am trying to derive the path length of a charged particle in a B-field. I am assuming the particle will travel a distance L along the applied field. Using the following equations for the path length of a helix and gyroradius:
Helix defined as
[itex][a*cos(t),a*cos(t),b*t] [/itex]for t on [0,T] has a path length of
[itex]P=\sqrt{(a^2+b^2)}[/itex]
[itex]r=\frac{v_{perp}m^*}{qB}[/itex]
and assuming that bt must equal L at T=1 (parametrize helix from 0 to 1), I get the following expression:

[itex]P=\sqrt{(\frac{v_{perp}m^*}{qB})^2+L^2}[/itex]

However, the bounds do not make sense. At zero field, It should simply travel in a straight line, i.e. P=L.
I am not sure about the "infinite" field, since it is oscillating more rapidly but with an ever decreasing radius. I could argue that the radius being 0 means only the vertical distance is traveled, or that it just rotates infinity at 0 radius?
In either case, I cannot get the BC for B=0, as this causes the expression to be infinite.

Can I simply not apply the gyroradius in a zero field condition, or did I derive this incorrectly? What is the limiting case of infinite field? Actually quite an interesting problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is the "Path Length" in relation to B-field induced gyroradius?

The path length is the distance traveled by a charged particle in a magnetic field as it undergoes circular motion due to the Lorentz force. This is also known as the gyroradius or Larmor radius.

2. What determines the limits of the path length of B-field induced gyroradius?

The limits of the path length are determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the velocity of the charged particle. The stronger the magnetic field, the smaller the gyroradius and vice versa. The velocity also affects the gyroradius, with higher velocities resulting in larger gyroradii.

3. Can the path length of B-field induced gyroradius be infinite?

No, the path length of B-field induced gyroradius cannot be infinite. As the magnetic field strength approaches zero, the gyroradius becomes infinitely large, but it cannot truly be infinite.

4. How does the path length of B-field induced gyroradius affect particle motion?

The path length of B-field induced gyroradius determines the curvature of the particle's trajectory. A smaller gyroradius results in tighter circular motion, while a larger gyroradius leads to looser circular motion. This has important implications for the behavior of particles in a magnetic field, such as in particle accelerators and fusion reactors.

5. Can the path length of B-field induced gyroradius be manipulated?

Yes, the path length of B-field induced gyroradius can be manipulated by changing the strength of the magnetic field or the velocity of the charged particle. This can be done using specialized equipment such as electromagnets or by adjusting the energy of the particle beam.