1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits of the Path Length of B-field induced gyroradius

1. Sep 2, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    I am trying to derive the path length of a charged particle in a B-field. I am assuming the particle will travel a distance L along the applied field. Using the following equations for the path length of a helix and gyroradius:
    Helix defined as
    [itex][a*cos(t),a*cos(t),b*t] [/itex]for t on [0,T] has a path length of
    [itex]P=\sqrt{(a^2+b^2)}[/itex]
    [itex]r=\frac{v_{perp}m^*}{qB}[/itex]
    and assuming that bt must equal L at T=1 (parametrize helix from 0 to 1), I get the following expression:

[itex]P=\sqrt{(\frac{v_{perp}m^*}{qB})^2+L^2}[/itex]

However, the bounds do not make sense. At zero field, It should simply travel in a straight line, i.e. P=L.
    I am not sure about the "infinite" field, since it is oscillating more rapidly but with an ever decreasing radius. I could argue that the radius being 0 means only the vertical distance is traveled, or that it just rotates infinity at 0 radius?
    In either case, I cannot get the BC for B=0, as this causes the expression to be infinite.

Can I simply not apply the gyroradius in a zero field condition, or did I derive this incorrectly? What is the limiting case of infinite field? Actually quite an interesting problem!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook