Line Current in Three Dimensions

In summary, the person is seeking help with a physics problem involving calculating the magnetic field due to a line current. They are unsure if they have correctly placed the angles in the diagram and are confused about the direction and magnitude of the field they calculated. They are asking for someone to check their answer and clarify the meaning of "r perpendicular." They also mention that the problem is due tomorrow and they are not expected to derive the bio-savart law again. They are pleading for help with the problem.
musiliu

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5139/physicsproblem.jpg

Homework Equations

in the image

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if i placed the angles theta1 and theta2 correctly in the diagram..I feel like this is incorrect, since the value i calculated for magnetic field is negative..and the direction is positive y, so it feels incorrect to me...

can someone do this problem and check if my answer is correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i really need help with this problem , i am more confused than ever:

is r perpendicular the distance from the point to the start of the current? in which case, it is sqrt(2)?
or is it the perpendicular distance from the point to the z axis? in which case it is 1...

how come i get a negative magnitude?(in my answer i just made it positive)
does that mean the direction has to be the opposite? so it has to be -y direction?

please i really need help

i am begging for help, the problem is due tomorrow,
the only equation i was given for magnetic field due to line current was the one i used in the image, and i don't think i am expected to solve it by deriving the bio-savart law again..i need help please

1. What is line current in three dimensions?

Line current in three dimensions refers to the flow of electric current through a conductor in three-dimensional space. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of the current, as well as the orientation of the conductor in three dimensions.

2. How is line current in three dimensions different from traditional line current?

The traditional line current only considers the flow of current in a single dimension, typically along a straight line. In three dimensions, the current can flow in any direction, making it more complex to analyze and calculate.

3. What factors affect line current in three dimensions?

The magnitude of the current, the orientation of the conductor, and the presence of any external magnetic fields can all affect line current in three dimensions. Additionally, the material and shape of the conductor can also impact the flow of current.

4. How is line current in three dimensions measured?

Line current in three dimensions can be measured using specialized equipment such as a three-dimensional current meter or a three-axis Hall effect sensor. These devices can capture the magnitude and direction of the current at a specific point in space.

5. Why is understanding line current in three dimensions important?

Understanding line current in three dimensions is important for accurately analyzing and designing electrical systems. It allows for more precise calculations and predictions of current flow, which can help prevent power failures and ensure the safety of electrical systems.