What is the Magnetic Field at the Center of a Square Loop Carrying a Current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field at the center of a conductor in the shape of a square with an edge length of 0.28 m and a current of 17 A. The formula used is B = 4{[(mu*I)/(4*pi*L)] * (sin(theta2) - sin(theta1))}, where theta2 and theta1 are the angles between the field and the plane of the loop and r2 is the distance from any side to the center. After multiple attempts, the correct answer was not obtained and further clarification and help was sought.

Homework Statement

A conductor in the shape of a square of edge length 0.28 m carries a current I = 17.0A. Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field at the center of the square. Round your answer to three significant figures. Take the permeability of free space to be 4*pi*10^-7.

Homework Equations

L = length of one side of the square = 0.28 m
I = current = 17 A
Sin(theta2) = 45 degrees = sqrt(2)/2
Sin(theta1) = -45 degrees = -sqrt(2)/2

B = 4{[(mu*I)/(4*pi*L)] * (sin(theta2) - sin(theta1))}

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've got it, but the website won't take my answer. Sorry for the lack of LaTex.

Values for theta were obtained by forming two 45-45-90 triangles; those values are the distance from any side to the center.

Plugging everything in, I get 4{[(4piE-7*17) / (4*pi*0.28)] * sqrt(2)} = 34.3 * 10^-6 T. However, this is incorrect. Have I made a calculation error? A concept error? This will be my 23rd try putting something into the website and I am tired of it.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi 012983! :smile:

i can't work out what formula you're using for the Biot-Savart law :confused:

the angle should be the angle between the field and the plane of the loop (90°)

and shouldn't there be an r2 somewhere?

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biot-Savart_law"​

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What is the Magnetic Field at the Center of a Square Loop Carrying a Current?

What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire. It is named after the French physicists Jean-Baptiste Biot and Félix Savart, who first discovered the relationship between the magnetic field and electric current in the early 19th century.

What is a Square Loop?

A square loop is a closed wire loop in the shape of a square. It is often used in electromagnetism experiments and calculations due to its simple and symmetrical shape.

What is the Biot-Savart Law for a Square Loop?

The Biot-Savart Law for a square loop states that the magnetic field at any point in space due to a current-carrying square loop is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current, the area of the loop, and the sine of the angle between the loop and the point in space. It is also inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the loop and the point in space.

How can the Biot-Savart Law be applied to a Square Loop?

The Biot-Savart Law can be used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying square loop at any point in space. This can be useful in designing and analyzing electromagnets, motors, and other devices that use magnetic fields.

What are some real-life applications of the Biot-Savart Law for a Square Loop?

The Biot-Savart Law for a square loop has various applications in everyday life, including electric motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. It is also used in the design of electronic circuits and in research related to plasma physics, fusion energy, and astrophysics.