1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral of a vector field

1. Mar 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the vector field F(r) = Φ^
    (a) Calculate ∫ F⋅dl where C is a circle of radius R (oriented counterclockwise) in the xy-plane centered on the origin.

2. Relevant equations
    maybe
    Φ^ = -sinΦx^ + cosΦy^

3. The attempt at a solution
    not really a solution. i am just stuck at what "dl" should be. if i go by my notes the "dl" is equal ∂l/∂θ (θ). but in our example its in terms of θ. so i dont know if "dl" here is equal to -sinΦx^ + cosΦy^. but can i evaluate the integral from 0 to 2π with Φ and not θ.

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In order to perform a line integral, find a parametrisation of the curve you are integrating along. You can then express ##d\vec l## according to
    $$ d\vec l = \frac{d\vec r}{dt} dt$$
    where ##t## is the curve parameter.

So first order of business: Can you find a parametrisation of the curve?

4. Mar 31, 2015 #3
    Well I think t is Φ

5. Mar 31, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are on the right track, but you must be much more specific. A given t should uniquely identify a point on the curve, you might have φ = t, but what are the other coordinates for a given t?

6. Mar 31, 2015 #5
    I also know the radius, R.

7. Mar 31, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So write down the following functions of t:
    ##\phi(t) = \ldots##, ##\theta(t)= \ldots##, ##r(t)= \ldots##
    Please try to do things in a systematic and proper way, it will help you in the long run.

8. Apr 1, 2015 #7
    ok i figured it out after some note digging. but i still dont quite understand how to solve for dr/dt dt.but i just i guess just had a "duh" moment. i shouldve realized that because it centered on the xy plane i can just use cylindrical coordinates.

i can just treat it like the base of a cylinder. so dl would equal ρΦ^dΦ evaluated from 0 to 2π and ρ = R.

so the solution to the problem is simply R2π.

you for the replies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted