Line integral, problems with substitution (probably)

In summary, the person is struggling with a line integral problem and is making a mistake in their substitution and calculation of limits. They eventually realize their mistake and correct it.
Saraphim

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve a line integral (bear with me, I am new to calculus!) and my basic skills of integration seem to fail me. I am sure the mistake is quite obvious, as I keep getting the wrong answer, 2, when it should be ~2.69

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_C 4x^3dS[/tex]

C is the curve given by [tex]x=t, y=t^3-1[/tex] and [tex]0 \leq t \leq 1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int_C 4x^3 dS = \int_0^1 4t^3 \sqrt{1^2+(3t^2)^2} dt = \int_0^1 4t^3 \sqrt{9t^4+1} dt[/tex]
I attempt substitution in order to solve the integral:
[tex]u=9t^4+1 \Rightarrow \frac{1}{36}du=t^3 dt[/tex].
The limits are now [tex]9 \cdot 0^4=0[/tex] and [tex]9 \cdot 1^4=9[/tex], so by substitution we have:
[tex]\frac{4}{36} \int_0^9 \sqrt{u} \, du = \frac{1}{9} \left[\frac{2}{3} u^{\frac{3}{2}}\right]_0^9 = \frac{2}{27} \left(9^{\frac{3}{2}} - 0\right)[/tex]

Which equals... Two! Well, there's a mistake in there somewhere, so, no it doesn't. Hopefully a non-mathematician will have mercy on me so that the punishment isn't too hard. o:)

-- Sarah

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I found the problem. I did not correctly calculate the new limits, they should be 10 and 1 respectively. :biggrin:

-- Sarah

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral used in multivariable calculus to calculate the total value of a function along a specific path on a surface or in space. It involves integrating a function over a given curve or line segment.

2. What is the purpose of using substitution in line integrals?

Substitution is a method used to simplify complex line integrals by replacing the original variables with new ones. This allows for easier evaluation and integration of the function.

3. How do you choose the substitution for a line integral?

The key to choosing the right substitution is to identify the variable that is causing the most difficulty in the integral. This variable should be substituted with a new variable that will make the integral easier to solve.

4. What are some common challenges when using substitution in line integrals?

One common challenge is identifying the correct substitution to use. Another challenge is ensuring that the limits of integration are properly adjusted after the substitution is made. It is also important to check for any potential singularities that may arise from the substitution.

5. Can substitution always be used in line integrals?

No, substitution is not always applicable in line integrals. It is only useful when the integrand can be expressed in terms of the new variables after the substitution is made. In some cases, other methods such as using Green's theorem may be more effective.