1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral problems in Apostol calculus

1. May 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A two dimensional force field f is give by the equation f(x,y)=cxyi+x^6 y^2j, where c is a positive constant. This force acts on a particle which must move from (0,0) to the line x=1 along a curve of the form y=ax^b where a>0 and b>0

2. Relevant equations
    Find a value of a(in terms of c) such that the work done by this force is independent of b

3. The attempt at a solution
    I pluck the information x=1 into y=ax^b which gives y=a,so i believe the curve move from (0,0) to (1,a)
    then i parametrize the curve as r(t)=ti+at^bj which give r'(t)=i+abt^(b-1)j
    With plucking x=t, y=at^b into f(x,y) with the upper and lower limit in the integral, the solution i got is
    ac/(b+2)+a^(3)b/(b+18)

However, the solution from the book is a=(3c/2)^(1/2)

May i know which of my steps are correct and wrong, and teach me the right way of doing this question?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2017 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

I get the line integral as [tex]
    W = \frac{ac}{b+2} + \frac{a^3b}{6 + 3b}.[/tex] I can only assume that you did not multiply the [itex]\mathbf{j}[/itex] components correctly or did not correctly integrate the result; as you haven't actually shown that working I can't help you.

You have yet to finish the question: how do arrange that [itex]W[/itex] (which is a quadratic in [itex]b[/itex] whose coefficients are functions of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] divided by a quadratic in [itex]b[/itex] whose coefficients are known constants) is independent of [itex]b[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted