Line integral problems in Apostol calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses a two dimensional force field given by the equation f(x,y)=cxyi+x^6 y^2j, acting on a particle that must move from (0,0) to the line x=1 along a curve of the form y=ax^b, with the goal of finding a value of a (in terms of c) such that the work done by the force is independent of b. The attempt at a solution involves parametrizing the curve and solving for the line integral, but the correct solution is not reached. The correct solution is a=(3c/2)^(1/2), which has not yet been shown how to obtain.
Richardbryant

Homework Statement

A two dimensional force field f is give by the equation f(x,y)=cxyi+x^6 y^2j, where c is a positive constant. This force acts on a particle which must move from (0,0) to the line x=1 along a curve of the form y=ax^b where a>0 and b>0

Homework Equations

Find a value of a(in terms of c) such that the work done by this force is independent of b

The Attempt at a Solution

I pluck the information x=1 into y=ax^b which gives y=a,so i believe the curve move from (0,0) to (1,a)
then i parametrize the curve as r(t)=ti+at^bj which give r'(t)=i+abt^(b-1)j
With plucking x=t, y=at^b into f(x,y) with the upper and lower limit in the integral, the solution i got is
ac/(b+2)+a^(3)b/(b+18)

However, the solution from the book is a=(3c/2)^(1/2)

May i know which of my steps are correct and wrong, and teach me the right way of doing this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Richardbryant said:

Homework Statement

A two dimensional force field f is give by the equation f(x,y)=cxyi+x^6 y^2j, where c is a positive constant. This force acts on a particle which must move from (0,0) to the line x=1 along a curve of the form y=ax^b where a>0 and b>0

Homework Equations

Find a value of a(in terms of c) such that the work done by this force is independent of b

The Attempt at a Solution

I pluck the information x=1 into y=ax^b which gives y=a,so i believe the curve move from (0,0) to (1,a)
then i parametrize the curve as r(t)=ti+at^bj which give r'(t)=i+abt^(b-1)j
With plucking x=t, y=at^b into f(x,y) with the upper and lower limit in the integral, the solution i got is
ac/(b+2)+a^(3)b/(b+18)

I get the line integral as [tex]
W = \frac{ac}{b+2} + \frac{a^3b}{6 + 3b}.[/tex] I can only assume that you did not multiply the [itex]\mathbf{j}[/itex] components correctly or did not correctly integrate the result; as you haven't actually shown that working I can't help you.

However, the solution from the book is a=(3c/2)^(1/2)

May i know which of my steps are correct and wrong, and teach me the right way of doing this question?

You have yet to finish the question: how do arrange that [itex]W[/itex] (which is a quadratic in [itex]b[/itex] whose coefficients are functions of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] divided by a quadratic in [itex]b[/itex] whose coefficients are known constants) is independent of [itex]b[/itex]?

1. What is a line integral in Apostol calculus?

A line integral in Apostol calculus is a type of integral that is used to calculate the total value of a function along a specified path or curve. It takes into account both the function being integrated and the path over which it is being integrated.

2. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A line integral is different from a regular integral because it takes into account the path or curve over which the function is being integrated, rather than just the function itself. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the total value of the function.

3. What are some applications of line integrals in Apostol calculus?

Line integrals have many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating work done by a force or finding the mass of a curved object. They are also used in vector calculus to calculate flux and circulation of vector fields.

4. How do you solve line integral problems in Apostol calculus?

To solve line integral problems in Apostol calculus, you must first parameterize the given curve or path. Then, substitute the parameterized equations into the line integral formula and integrate it with respect to the parameter. Finally, evaluate the integral at the given limits of integration.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving line integral problems in Apostol calculus?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving line integral problems in Apostol calculus include forgetting to parameterize the curve, using the wrong limits of integration, and not considering the direction of the curve when evaluating the integral. It is also important to check for singular points or discontinuities in the function being integrated.