Line integral to calculate work

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that requires calculating the work done by force P and converting the variable x into theta. The solution involves differentiating both sides with respect to theta and using the concept of energy and conservative forces.
Hernaner28
Hi. I have a concrete doubt with this problem. Here's the pic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=46109&stc=1&d=1334149747.jpg

It asks me to calculate the work done by force P (the ball moves with constant speed). So the solution is in the book and I understood everything, but the problem comes here,

the force P in axis y is zero so the work of P should be:

[tex]\int\limits_{{x_o}}^{{x_f}} {{P_x}dx} [/tex]

And we know that Px is equal to the tension in axis x so:

[tex]\int\limits_{}^{} {T\sin \theta dx} [/tex]

But we need to convert the variable dx into theta variable. And the books states that as:
[tex]x = L\sin \theta [/tex]
then:
[tex]dx = L\cos \theta d\theta [/tex]

But shouldn't it be:
[tex]dx = L\sin\theta d\theta [/tex]??

Why did it take the derivative of sine and not of x on the other side? Thank you!

Attachments

• resnick.jpg
    resnick.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 548
Physics news on Phys.org
Given:
##~~~x = L sin(\theta)##

Differentiate w.r.t. θ:
##~~~\frac{dx}{d \theta} = L cos(\theta) ##

Rearrange:
##~~~dx = L cos(\theta) d\theta##

Sorry but what did you do in the second step (wrt?)? I think I'm understaning now but I still don't get it.

Thanks!

Differentiate both sides with respect to theta.

Whovian said:
Differentiate both sides with respect to theta.

Aham! So it would be an intermediate step there:

[tex]\frac{{dx}}{{d\theta }} = \frac{d}{{d\theta }}L\sin \theta [/tex]

I didn't know that you could take dO to the other side as a product. Thanks!

Think about it. If two functions are constantly the same, shouldn't their derivatives also be equal?

And could this exercise be solved easily using the concepts of energy and conservative forces? Then, how could I begin?

Thanks!

Edit. I'll create a new thread.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral used to calculate the work done by a force along a specific path. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the displacement along the path.

2. How is a line integral used to calculate work?

A line integral is used to calculate work by integrating the dot product of the force and displacement vectors along a specific path. This takes into account the work done by the force in the direction of the displacement.

3. What are the applications of using a line integral to calculate work?

Line integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the work done by a force, such as in the study of fluid flow or electromagnetism. They can also be applied in other areas such as economics and finance to calculate the work done by a changing quantity.

4. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A line integral is different from a regular integral because it takes into account the path along which the integration is done. A regular integral integrates over a single variable, while a line integral integrates over a curve or path.

5. What are the different types of line integrals?

There are two main types of line integrals: path integrals and contour integrals. Path integrals are used to integrate along a specific path, while contour integrals are used to integrate over a closed curve in the complex plane. These types of integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics.