Work to bring a charge to the center of two quarter circles

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
lorenz0
Messages
151
Reaction score
28
Homework Statement
Find the electric field at point C, which corresponds to the center of the two arcs of circumference with radius ##𝑅 = 10 cm## with uniform charge densities ##\lambda_1 = + 1nC / m## and ##\lambda_2 = -1 nC / m## respectively.
Also find the work required to bring a charge ##q= 5 \mu C## from infinity to point C.
Relevant Equations
##\vec{E}=\frac{kq}{r^2},\ V(r)=\frac{kq}{r}##
By measuring angle \theta from the positive ##x## axis counterclockwise as usual, I get ##d\vec{E}=k( (\lambda_2-\lambda_1)\cos(\theta)d\theta, (\lambda_2-\lambda_1)\sin(\theta)d\theta )## and by integrating from ##\theta=0## to ##\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}## I get ##\vec{E}(P)=\frac{k(\lambda_1-\lambda_2)}{R}(-1,-1)##.

Now, the work to bring a charge from infinity to point P should be (if we set ##V(\infty)=0##) ##L=qV(P)=q\int_{\theta=0}^{\theta=\pi/2}(\frac{k\lambda_1}{R}+\frac{k\lambda_2}{R})Rd\theta=0##

I am a bit unsure about the work being ##0##, it doesn't feel intuitive to me that it should be: is this correct? Is there an intuitive explanation for the work being ##0##? Thanks
 
Attachments
  • circle.png
    circle.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 195
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post either a diagram or a full description of the arc arrangement.
But just looking at the last line, I do not see how you get zero from that integral.
 
haruspex said:
Please post either a diagram or a full description of the arc arrangement.
But just looking at the last line, I do not see how you get zero from that integral.
I have posted the diagram; I get zero since ##\lambda_1=-\lambda_2##.
 
Last edited:
lorenz0 said:
Is there an intuitive explanation for the work being 0?
If you bring in the charge from infinity over the line ##y = -x##, the electric force is perpendicular to the motion, so no mechanical work is involved.

##\ ##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK and lorenz0
BvU said:
If you bring in the charge from infinity over the line ##y = -x##, the electric force is perpendicular to the motion, so no mechanical work is involved.

##\ ##
I see, thank you very much!