Line integral with vector function on circular path.

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a homework problem involving calculating the integral of a given vector field along a given curve. The problem is solved using Green's theorem, but the answer obtained is different from the answer in the back of the book. The conversation ends with a clarification about a typo in the original problem.
thepatient
I'm not getting the answer from the back of the book for some reason. Is the book wrong or am I wrong?

Homework Statement

calculate [itex]\int[/itex]f · dr for the given vector field f(x, y) and curve C:

f(x, y) = (x^2 + y^2) i; C : x = 2 + cos t, y = sin t, 0 ≤ t ≤ 2π

Homework Equations

itex]\int[/itex]f · dr
r(t) = <x(t), y(t)>
dr = r'(t) dt

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{C}[/itex][itex]\widehat{F}[/itex]*dr

F = <x^2+y^2, 0>
C: x=2+cost, y = sint, 0<=t<=2pi

r(t) = <2+cost, sint>
r'(t) = <-sint, cost>

F(r(t)) * r'(t) = <(2+cost)^2 + sin^2(t), 0> * <-sint, cost> =
-sint(4 + 4cos(t) + cos^2(t) + sin^2(t)) = -sint(5+4cost)

Letting u = 5+ 4cost
du/4 = -sintdt
[itex]\int[/itex] -sint(5+4cost)dt= 1/4 [itex]\int[/itex] udu = 1/8 (5+4cost)^2 |t = 0..2pi =
81/8 -81/8 = 0

But the answer in the back of the book says 4pi, what did I do wrong?

Since the path taken is a closed curve, I also tried green's theorem to verify if it's right or not, but I got -2 2/3 using greens theorem. Green's theorem does apply in this case, does it not?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Very strange problem to me. :\ Maybe someone here might know what I did wrong.

What are x2 and y2?

ehild

Oops, sorry it is supposed to be F(x,y) = <(x^2 + y^2), 0>. Fixed it. XD

Your work looks good.

ehild

1. What is a line integral with a vector function on a circular path?

A line integral with a vector function on a circular path is a type of integral that calculates the total change of a vector field along a specific path on a circular curve. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the vector function at each point on the path.

2. How is a line integral with a vector function on a circular path different from a regular line integral?

A line integral with a vector function on a circular path differs from a regular line integral in that it takes into account the direction of the vector field in addition to its magnitude. This means that the path of integration must be specified in terms of a vector function, rather than just a scalar function.

3. What is the significance of a circular path in a line integral with a vector function?

A circular path is significant in a line integral with a vector function because it allows for the calculation of the total change of the vector field along a closed curve. This can be useful in many applications, such as calculating work done by a force field or flux through a closed surface.

4. How is a line integral with a vector function on a circular path calculated?

A line integral with a vector function on a circular path is typically calculated using the formula ∫C F · dr, where F is the vector function and dr is the differential of the path of integration. This formula takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the vector function at each point on the path.

5. What are some real-world applications of line integrals with vector functions on circular paths?

Some real-world applications of line integrals with vector functions on circular paths include calculating the work done by a force field, finding the flux through a closed surface, and determining the circulation of a fluid around a closed loop. These calculations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.