Calculate Line Integrals for Vector Field F on C1 and C2

In summary: You have to admit that F is not only conservative in this case but also a gradient, so the line integral becomes trivial, no?In summary, the conversation discusses finding the line integral of a vector field along a given path. It is mentioned that the vector field is conservative and can be written as a gradient, making the line integral simple to compute. The conversation also touches on finding the parameters for the given path and using the fundamental theorem of gradients as a check.
hils0005

Homework Statement

Calculate [tex]\int[/tex]F dr if C = C1 + C2 where C1 is the line segment from P1(-1,pi,-1) to P2(0,0,0) and C2 is the line segment from P2(0,0,0) to P3(2,0,4)

vectorF= yz i + (xz - e^(z)siny) j + (e^(z)cosy + xy) k

The Attempt at a Solution

Im having problems setting up the C1 integral:
I have it parametrized as x=t, y=-pi t z=t, as t goes 0 to 1

r(t)= t i - pit j + t k

r'(t)= i - pi j + k

F= -pi t^2 i + (t^2-e^(t)sin(pit)) j + (e^(t)cos(pit) + pit^2) k

F dot r'(t) = -pi t^2 + pi e^(t)sin(pit) + e^tcos(pit)

I would then take integral dt as t goes from 0 to 1

I think I have answered C2 correctly, I'm not sure if my parameters are correct

Physics news on Phys.org
Big time-saving hint: What is curl F ?

dF2/dx - dF1/dy =0 z-z=0
dF3/dy - dF2/dz =0 (-e^zsiny + x) + (-x + e^zsiny) = 0
dF1/dz - dF3/dx = 0 y-y=0

Curl test?? how does that help?

So what does that tell you about F?

that it is path independent or conservative?

Last edited:
hils0005 said:
that it is path independent or conservative?

Yes, which also tells you that you can write F as the gradient of some scalar [itex]\varphi[/itex]...So if you can find such a scalar, you can easily compute the path integral using the fundamental theorem of gradients.

However, the way your original question is worded leads e to believe that they want you to evaluate the path integral along that specific path, so I would use the gradient method only as a check.

hils0005 said:
C1 is the line segment from P1(-1,pi,-1) to P2(0,0,0)...

r(t)= t i - pit j + t k

That doesn't seem right; [itex]r(0)=(0,0,0)[/itex] which is not your starting point, and [itex]r(1)=(1,-\pi,1)[/itex] which is neither your starting point or your finish point!:eek:

x=t-1
y= pi t + t
z=t-1

t goes from -2 to -1,
would that work?

hils0005 said:
x=t-1
y= pi t + t
z=t-1

t goes from -2 to -1,
would that work?

Nope; now your starting point is r(-2)=(-3,-2pi-2,-3) and your finish point is just as incorrect.

Let's think this through logically instead of stabbing blindly in the dark...You know that c1 is the direct line from P1 to P2; so you can write down a general parameterized line for r: [itex]\mathbf{r}(t)=(at+b,ct+d,ft+g)[/itex]...say you let t go from 0 to 1; what must a,b,c,d,f and g be for [itex]\mathbf{r}(0)[/itex] to be P1 and [itex]\mathbf{r}(1)[/itex] to be P2?

x=t-1
y=pit^2
z=t-1

x and z look good, but y isn't even linear in t!...how did you come up with that? Is y(1) really 0?

its late...what else can i say
I don't know what to use for t going from 0 to 1
y=pi t + pi
y(0)=pi
y(1)=2pi

y=pit - pi
y(0)=-pi
y(1)=pi t - pi=0

Last edited:
well now y is linear, and y(1)=0 :smile: , but y(0)=-pi not +pi:frown:

Perhaps you should get some rest and leave this until morning? :wink:

Great idea, thanks for your help

hils0005 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate [tex]\int[/tex]F dr if C = C1 + C2 where C1 is the line segment from P1(-1,pi,-1) to P2(0,0,0) and C2 is the line segment from P2(0,0,0) to P3(2,0,4)

vectorF= yz i + (xz - e^(z)siny) j + (e^(z)cosy + xy) k

The Attempt at a Solution

r(t)= t i - pit j + t k

r'(t)= i - pi j + k

F= -pi t^2 i + (t^2-e^(t)sin(pit)) j + (e^(t)cos(pit) + pit^2) k

F dot r'(t) = -pi t^2 + pi e^(t)sin(pit) + e^tcos(pit)

I would then take integral dt as t goes from 0 to 1

I think I have answered C2 correctly, I'm not sure if my parameters are correct
Here's a big hint for finding x, y and z,
P1(-1,pi,-1) to P2(0,0,0)
So, we have (-1, pi, -1) + some t
(-1, pi,-1)+(1,a, b)t
So x= -1+t
I got this by having our original point and taking 0 from our second point and and -1 from the first point.
So, we have -1+[0-(-1)]t=-1+t
Follow this in the same manner for finding y and z.

gabbagabbahey said:
Yes, which also tells you that you can write F as the gradient of some scalar [itex]\varphi[/itex]...So if you can find such a scalar, you can easily compute the path integral using the fundamental theorem of gradients.

However, the way your original question is worded leads e to believe that they want you to evaluate the path integral along that specific path, so I would use the gradient method only as a check.
Actually my intention wasn't to find the scalar potential which itself could be rather tedious, but to show that one could evaluate the line integral from P1 to P3 directly bypassing P2 to save time.

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of mathematical integration that is performed along a curve or path. It is used to calculate the total value of a function along the length of the curve.

What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

The main difference between a line integral and a regular integral is that a line integral is performed along a curve, while a regular integral is performed over a specific interval. This means that a line integral takes into account not only the magnitude of the function, but also the direction and path of the curve.

What is the purpose of using a line integral?

The purpose of using a line integral is to calculate the total value of a function along a specific curve or path. This is useful in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, mathematics, and engineering.

What are some real-life applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many real-life applications, including calculating work done by a force along a specific path, calculating electric potential in a circuit, and determining the mass of an object with varying density along its length.

How is a line integral calculated?

A line integral is calculated by breaking the curve into small segments and approximating the integral using these segments. This process is called Riemann sum. The more segments used, the more accurate the calculation will be.