1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral of vector field from Apostol calculus

1. Jun 3, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here are the three problems that i couldn't solve from the book Calculus volume 2 by apostol

10.9 Exercise

2. Find the amount of work done by the force f(x,y)=(x^2-y^2)i+2xyj in moving a particle (in a counter clockwise direction) once around the square bounded by the coordinate axes and the lines x=a and y=a, a>0

4) A force field f in 3-space is give by the formula f(x,y,z)=yzi+xzj+x(y+1)k. Calculate the work done by f in moving a particle once around the triangle with verticles (0,0,0),(1,1,1),(-1,1,-1) in that order

6) Calculate the work done by the force field f(x,y,z)=(y-z)i+(z-x)j+(x-y)k along the curve of intersection of the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=4 and the plane z=ytanb where 0<b<pi/2. The path is tranversed in a direction that appears counterclockwise when viewed from high above th xy-plane.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2)(0,0)-->(a,0) r(t)=ati r'(t)=ai
    (a,0)-->(a,a) r(t)=atj r'(t)=aj
    (a,a)-->(0,a) r(t)=-ati r'(t)=-ai
    (0,a)-->(0,0) r(t)=-atj r'(t)=-aj

∫ƒ.dr= ∫(a^2 t^2)i⋅ai dt (0-->1)+ ∫(-a^2t^2)i⋅aj dt + ∫(a^2t^2)i -ai⋅dt (-1-->0) + ∫(-a^2t^2)i⋅-aj dt
    =2a^3/3
    yet the correct answer is 2a^3 by the textbook

4)(0,0,0)-->(1,1,1) r(t)=ti+tj+tk r'(t)=i+j+k
    (1,1,1)-->(-1,1,-1) r(t)=(1-2t)i+(1-2t)k r'(t)=-2i+-2k
    ∫ƒ.dr= ∫t^2i+t^2j+(t^2+t)k⋅(i+j+k) dt (0-->1) + ∫(1-2t)^2i +(1-2t)k ⋅(-2i-2k) dt (0-->1)
    =t^3+(5/2)t^2-2t
    =3/2
    yet the correct answer is 0 by the textbook

6)i stuck in parametrize the equation

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(2) Using the simpler parametrizations ##t = x## or ##t = y## on the segments, we have:
    $$\begin{array}{l} W_{(0,0) \to (a,0)} = \int_0^a x^2 \, dx\\
    W_{(a,0) \to (a,a)} = \int_0^a 2 a y \, dy\\
    W_{(a,a) \to (0,a)} = \int_0^a (-) [(a-x)^2 - a^2] \, dx \\
    W_{(0,a) \to (0,0)} = 0
    \end{array}
    $$
    I get the book's value.

(4) ##\vec{F } = \vec{F_1} + \vec{F_2}##, where ##\vec{F_1} = \langle yz, zx ,xy\rangle## and ##\vec{F_2} = \langle 0,0 ,x \rangle##.
    Note that ##\vec{F_1} = \vec{\nabla} V##, where ##V = xyz##, so the contribution of ##\vec{F_1}## to the total work is ##\int_C \vec{\nabla} V \cdot \,d \vec{r} = 0##, by Stokes theorem. Thus, we need only look at ##\int_C \langle 0,0, x \rangle \cdot \langle dx,dy,dz \rangle##, which is a lot easier than the original problem. Of course, this simplification does not help much if you have not yet seen Stokes theorem.

(6) What type of ##xy## curve do you see if you view it from above the ##xy## plane? How would you parametrize such a curve?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  4. Jun 3, 2017 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Another hint for ##6##: If you calculate it you will find ##\nabla \times \vec f = \langle -2,-2,-2\rangle ##. You might try using Stokes' theorem that ##\int_C \vec f \cdot d\vec r =\iint_S \nabla \times \vec f \cdot d\vec S## where ##S## is the plane circular cross-section.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  5. Jun 3, 2017 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The parameterization ##r(t) = at \hat{j}## doesn't move you from (a,0) to (a,a). It goes from (0,0) to (0,a).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted