1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra, basis, diagonal matrix

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write the A matrix and the x vector into a basis in which A is diagonal.
    [itex]A=\begin{pmatrix} 0&-i&0&0&0 \\ i&0&0&0&0 \\ 0&0&3&0&0 \\ 0&0&0&1&-i \\ 0&0&0&i&-1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex].
    [itex]x=\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ a \\ i \\ b \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    A=P^(-1)A'P.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found out the eigenvalues (spectra in fact) to be [itex]\sigma (A) = \{ -1,0,0,1,3 \}[/itex].
    I'm happy they told me A is diagonalizable; so I can avoid finding the Jordan form of A.
    So I know how is A'. I think that in order to find P, I must find the eigenvectors associated with each eigenvalues. P would be the matrix whose columns are the eigenvectors encountered. So with [itex]\lambda = -1[/itex], I found [itex]v_1=\begin{pmatrix} -i \\ i \\ 3 \\ 4-i \\ i+1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. But for [itex]\lambda =0[/itex] I reach the null vector as eigenvector, which I know is impossible.
    Am I doing something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi fluidistic! :smile:

What you're doing is right.
    But for lambda=0 you can still find a vector that is not the null vector.
    Actually there should be 2 linearly independent eigenvectors.
    They span the kernel of A.

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ah true, I had made an arithmetic error. If there was no 2 l.i. eigenvectors for lambda=0 then the matrix A wouldn't be diagonalizable.

The basis I found is [itex]P=B=\begin{pmatrix} 1&0&0&-i&0 \\ -i&0&0&i&0 \\ 0&0&0&3&-1 \\ 0&-i&-i&4-i&1 \\ 0&1&5&1+i& \frac{3}{5} \end{pmatrix}[/itex].
    What they ask for is [itex]A'=BAB^{-1}[/itex] which is (should be if I didn't make any error) just a diagonal matrix whose entries are the eigenvalues I found. And x'=Bx.
    Am I right?

5. Sep 5, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Didn't check for mistakes, but yes, you're right.

6. Sep 5, 2011 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

also not required, but couple of extra tips:

- As A is close to diagonal, so you can shortcut and find the eigenvalues & eigenvectors for the 3 small blocks that make up A. These will be eigenvectors of A with zeroes in the other entries and will lead to simpler eigenvectors than the ones you have.

- It always good to check by multiplying the matrix by the eigenvector you found and in fact I I think you need to do that. The eigenvectors you have don't look right at glance

- If all your eigenvectors all turn out to be orthogonal, and you normalise, then finding the inverse of P is simple - its the transpose conjugate (P is unitary).

- I think A is a normal matrix (A*A=AA*), if so it guarantees all eignespaces correponding to single eignevalues are orthogonal

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  7. Sep 5, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Note that A=A* (A is equal to its conjugate transpose).
    The so called spectral theorem tells us that this means that A is diagonizable.

8. Sep 5, 2011 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

So A is actually a hermitian matrix which guarantees real eigenvalues and diagonalisability

hermitian matricies are also a subset of normal matricies, which gurantees diagonalisability by a unitary matrix

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  9. Sep 5, 2011 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'll second lanedance's recommendation to check your eigenvectors. You should be able to see by inspection that (0, 0, 1, 0, 0) is an eigenvector of A.

I also found different eigenvalues for A, namely ±1, ±√2, and 3, so you should recheck that calculation first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook