Linear algebra by Friedberg or Hoffman and Kunez?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a rigorous book on linear algebra. The books Hoffman/Kunze, Friedberg, and Lang's Linear Algebra are recommended, with Hoffman/Kunze and Friedberg being preferred by the speakers. However, one person mentions Advanced Linear Algebra by Steven Roman as a more advanced option. Ultimately, it is noted that there is no one definitive "most rigorous" book and that personal preferences may vary.
JayC
I need the most rigourous text on linear algebra and I've been advised to buy one of these but I don't know the differences and which is the best one (I think the one that covers more topics and is more rigorous would be the one) but if you think there is a more rigourous book on linear algebra please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hoffman/Kunze, Friedberg, and Lang's Linear Algebra are usually considered to be the best on the subject. I've read through all of Hoffman/Kunze and Friedberg, and found both of them fine. I would go with Hoffman, but it is favoured by only small margin.

I would prefer Hoffman/Kunze but I'm prejudiced- I had Kunze as my teacher for Linear Algebra.

Thanks for the comments guys and FYI I've ordered linear algebra by friendberg.

Hehe, the question is "A or B?", two people respond with B, and you go for A :)

Thre is no such thing as "the most rigorous book" in any subject. Advanced Linear Algebra by Steven Roman certainly qualifies as rigorous, but is more advanced (not introductory). All the mentioned books are good (Axler is another example).

the friedberg book is my favourite linear algebra book, it has more content than any other linear algebra book that I've seen (except for the advanced linear algebra stuff), and it's fully rigorous.

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations, matrices, and systems of linear equations.

Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra has numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It also serves as a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and techniques.

Which book is better for learning linear algebra, Friedberg or Hoffman and Kunez?

Both books are highly regarded in the field of linear algebra and cover similar topics. It ultimately comes down to personal preference and learning style. Some may find Friedberg's book more concise and theoretical, while others may prefer the more applied approach of Hoffman and Kunez.

Do I need to have a strong background in math to understand Friedberg or Hoffman and Kunez's book on linear algebra?

A basic understanding of algebra and calculus is necessary to understand the concepts in Friedberg or Hoffman and Kunez's book. However, the books also provide a review of these topics and introduce new concepts gradually, making it accessible to readers with varying levels of mathematical background.

Are there any online resources available for supplementing the material in Friedberg or Hoffman and Kunez's book on linear algebra?

Yes, there are many online resources such as lecture notes, practice problems, and video tutorials that can help supplement the material in the books. Some universities also offer online courses for linear algebra that can be used as a supplement or alternative to the books.