1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Change of basis question

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A = E4 in R4 (standard basis) and B = {x^2, x, 1} in P2 over R. If T is the linear transformation that is represented by
    [tex]

\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & 1\\0 & 0 & 1 & -1\\1 & 1 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}

[/tex]

relative to A and B, find the matrix that represents T with respect to A' and B' where
    A' = {(1,0,0,0), (0,0,1,0), (1,-1,0,0), (0,-1,1,1)}
    B' = {x^2 + 1, x, 1}

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So by looking at this matrix T, it's clear that its a transformation from A to B, so we want the transformation matrix [tex]T_{B'A'}[/tex],
    which is: [tex]T_{B'A'} = I_{B'B}T_{BA}I_{AA'}[/tex]

So I need to find [tex]I_{AA'}[/tex] and [tex] I_{B'B}[/tex].

For [tex]I_{AA'}[/tex], I write A' wrt A(which is standard basis of R4):

I get : [tex]I_{AA'} = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\0 & 0 & -1 &-1\\0 & 1 & 0 &1\\ 0&0&0&1 \end{bmatrix} [/tex]

Then for [tex] I_{B'B}[/tex], I write B wrt B', and get

[tex]I_{B'B} = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 1 & 0\\-1 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} [/tex]

Now I put them together to get something with lots of zeros.. which doesn't seem right?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your answer is correct. (At least it sounds correct.) You have the representations of the A' basis in the natural basis, so try applying them to the given T and see what you get. Then look at how those results would be represented in the B' basis. You'll see why the transformed T has so many zeros.

4. Feb 2, 2010 #3
    When I put them all together I get:
    [tex]
    \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 1 & 0\\-1 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & 1\\0 & 0 & 1 & -1\\1 & 1 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\0 & 0 & -1 &-1\\0 & 1 & 0 &1\\ 0&0&0&1 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}
    [/tex] ??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook