1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Eigenvalue Problem

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let there be 3 vectors that span a space: { |a>, |b>, |c> } and let n be a complex number.

If the operator A has the properties:

A|a> = n|b>
    A|b> = 3|a>
    A|c> = (4i+7)|c>

What is A in terms of a square matrix?

2. Relevant equations

det(A-Iλ)=0

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't even know how to start. Can someone give me a starting hint?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2012 #2
    Imagine |a>=(1,0,0), |b>=(0,1,0), |c>=(0,0,1)
    What would the square matrix be then?
    Once you've got that, how can you relate your "hypothetical" square matrix to the correct one?

4. Sep 17, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since A maps a three dimensional vector space to itself, it can be represented as a 3 by 3 matrix and so can be written
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Since you have basis vectors |a>, |b>, and |c>, they can be written as <1, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0>, and <0, 0, 1>, respectively. What do you get when you multiply each of those by the matrix above?

You are told that "A|a> = n|b>", that is the what you got by multiplying A by <1, 0, 0> must be equal to <0, n, 0> for this complex number n. Compare the two.

Similarly, you are told that "A|b> = 3|a>". In other words, what you got by mutiplying A by <0, 1, 0> must be equal to <3, 0, 0>.

Finally, you are told that "A|c> = (4i+7)|c>" so that what you got by multiplying A by <0, 0, 1> must be equal to <0, 0, 4i+7>.

5. Sep 17, 2012 #4
    Ok, I didn't think of that. Writing them out in terms of specific numbers is helpful. However, why can we do that?

I think I understand why they were written that way a little. Is it because they are orthogonal elements of a Hilbert Space and since they are orthogonal, we can define a coordinate system such that one is <1,0,0> and the other 2 are necessarily orthogonal to it and others, following the right hand rule?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook