1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Forming planes that intersect a given plane

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the following 2-dimensional plane in R^4 written in parametric form:

x_1 = 1 + (-1)s
    x_2 = 0 + ( 1)s
    x_3 = 1 + (-1)t
    x_4 = 0 + ( 1)t

a) find a 2-dimensional plane that does not intersect it
    b) find a 2-dimensional plane that intersects it to form a point
    c) find a 2-dimensional plane that intersects it to form a line

2. Relevant equations

dot product

3. The attempt at a solution

a) Just change the position vector, so what results is a parallel line, shifted away from the original plane, and therefore cannot intersect:

x_1 = 0 + (-1)s + (0)t
    x_2 = 0 + (1)s + (0)t
    x_3 = 0 + (0)s + (-1)t
    x_4 = 0 + (0)s + (1)t

b) The dot product between the original plane and my new plane must be equal to zero, and hence they are perpendicular, forming a point. I'm not quite sure how to calculate this... Is this even possible (i.e., trick question)? Help!

c) I need the same position vector (1,0,1,0), but what about the direction vectors? I guess they shouldn't be perpendicular here, so... I'm really not sure... What if I change just one number in one of the direction vectors?

x_1 = 1 + (-1)s + (0)t
    x_2 = 0 + (0)s + (0)t
    x_3 = 1 + (0)s + (-1)t
    x_4 = 0 + (0)s + (1)t

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2011 #2
    This may be helpful:

Given subsets (in this case, subspaces)U,V of n-dimensional space, of complementary
    codimension (in general position), i.e., DimU+DimV=n , the dimension of the intersection of U,V is 0; in general, when the expression makes sense, the dimension of the intersection of subspaces within a space of dimension n is n-CodimU-CodimV , where Codim is the difference between n and the dimension of the subspace. Then, two lines in R^2 , since each has condimension 1, intersect in a subspace of dimension 2-(1+1)=0 , i.e., at a point.

Anyway, maybe you can use that , and maybe shift one of your planes around to avoid a collision .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook