Linear Algebra - Forming planes that intersect a given plane

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a 2-dimensional plane in R^4 that does not intersect a given 2-dimensional plane, intersects it to form a point, and intersects it to form a line. The solution involves changing the position vector and direction vectors of the planes to achieve the desired results.
Throwback

Homework Statement

Given the following 2-dimensional plane in R^4 written in parametric form:

x_1 = 1 + (-1)s
x_2 = 0 + ( 1)s
x_3 = 1 + (-1)t
x_4 = 0 + ( 1)t

a) find a 2-dimensional plane that does not intersect it
b) find a 2-dimensional plane that intersects it to form a point
c) find a 2-dimensional plane that intersects it to form a line

Homework Equations

dot product

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Just change the position vector, so what results is a parallel line, shifted away from the original plane, and therefore cannot intersect:

x_1 = 0 + (-1)s + (0)t
x_2 = 0 + (1)s + (0)t
x_3 = 0 + (0)s + (-1)t
x_4 = 0 + (0)s + (1)t

b) The dot product between the original plane and my new plane must be equal to zero, and hence they are perpendicular, forming a point. I'm not quite sure how to calculate this... Is this even possible (i.e., trick question)? Help!

c) I need the same position vector (1,0,1,0), but what about the direction vectors? I guess they shouldn't be perpendicular here, so... I'm really not sure... What if I change just one number in one of the direction vectors?

x_1 = 1 + (-1)s + (0)t
x_2 = 0 + (0)s + (0)t
x_3 = 1 + (0)s + (-1)t
x_4 = 0 + (0)s + (1)t

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This may be helpful:

Given subsets (in this case, subspaces)U,V of n-dimensional space, of complementary
codimension (in general position), i.e., DimU+DimV=n , the dimension of the intersection of U,V is 0; in general, when the expression makes sense, the dimension of the intersection of subspaces within a space of dimension n is n-CodimU-CodimV , where Codim is the difference between n and the dimension of the subspace. Then, two lines in R^2 , since each has condimension 1, intersect in a subspace of dimension 2-(1+1)=0 , i.e., at a point.

Anyway, maybe you can use that , and maybe shift one of your planes around to avoid a collision .

1. What is the purpose of forming planes that intersect a given plane in linear algebra?

The purpose of forming planes that intersect a given plane in linear algebra is to analyze and understand relationships between different planes in three-dimensional space. This can help in solving complex equations and systems of equations, as well as in applications such as computer graphics and engineering.

2. How are planes formed in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, planes are formed by using the equations of lines or by using vectors. A plane can be represented by a point and two linearly independent vectors that lie in the plane. These vectors can be used to create a system of equations to describe the plane.

3. What is the significance of the intersection of planes in linear algebra?

The intersection of planes in linear algebra is significant because it represents the solution to a system of equations. When two or more planes intersect, their common points satisfy all of the equations of the planes. This intersection point can be used to solve for unknown variables in the equations.

4. Can planes intersect at more than one point in linear algebra?

In general, two planes can intersect at a single point, a line, or be parallel with no intersection. However, in special cases, such as when the planes are identical or when one plane is a subset of the other, they can intersect at infinitely many points.

5. How can forming planes that intersect a given plane be applied in real-world scenarios?

The concept of forming planes that intersect a given plane has various applications in real-world scenarios. For example, in engineering, it can be used to determine the intersection of two planes to calculate the angle of intersection between two roads or the slope of a roof. In computer graphics, it can be used to create three-dimensional objects and animations. It also has applications in physics, economics, and other fields that involve analyzing systems of equations.