Linear Algebra - Homogenous Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a 3x3 matrix that produces a 2D composite transformation of translation and reflection about the line x=-3. The individual is familiar with translation but is unsure about how to approach reflection. They ask for help and suggest using conjugation to move the line from the origin to x=-3. They also mention attempting to use the identity matrix multiplied by the line as the transformation matrix for reflection. They express the need for assistance and ask for help from others.
gotpho
Homework Statement
Find a 3x3 matrix produces the following 2D composites transformation by translation and reflection about the line x=-3

The attempt at a solution

I understand translation but how do you go about doing reflection? I'm guessing for reflection, I need to do a conjugation? So I need to move the line from the origin to x=-3.Do I simply multiply -3 to the standard matrix of the line about x?

I have asked in another site but no one seems to be answering. Any kind of help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I done a little thinking and is it possible that the transformation for the reflection is the identity multiply the line.

so

1 0 -3 -3
X =
0 1 0 0

thus the transformation matrix for the reflection is

1 0 -3
0 1 0
0 0 1

Can anyone help? I really need the help.

1. What are homogenous coordinates in linear algebra?

Homogenous coordinates in linear algebra refer to a system of coordinates where points are represented by a vector of coordinates, rather than individual coordinates. This allows for more efficient calculations and transformations in geometric spaces.

2. How are homogenous coordinates used in computer graphics?

Homogenous coordinates are used in computer graphics to represent points, lines, and planes in 3D space. They allow for translations, rotations, and scaling to be performed efficiently using matrix operations.

3. What is the significance of the fourth coordinate in homogenous coordinates?

The fourth coordinate in homogenous coordinates is often referred to as the "w-coordinate". It allows for the representation of points at infinity and helps with perspective projection in computer graphics.

4. How do homogenous coordinates differ from Cartesian coordinates?

Homogenous coordinates differ from Cartesian coordinates in that they use a fourth coordinate to represent points in space. This allows for more efficient transformations and also allows for the representation of points at infinity.

5. What are some real-world applications of homogenous coordinates?

Homogenous coordinates have many real-world applications, including computer graphics, computer vision, robotics, and 3D modeling. They are also commonly used in mapping and navigation systems, as well as in the study of projective geometry.