1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Linear Algebra] Kernel and range

1. Jul 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let P2 be the vector space of all polynomials of a degree at most 2 with real coefficients. Let T: P2→ℝ be the functioned defined by:

##T(p(t)) = p(2) - p(1)##

a) Find a non-zero element of the Kernel of T. (I think I figured this one out, but I'm not too sure).
    b) Find a specific element of p(t) for which T(p(t)) = π. Describe the image of T as an explicit subset of ℝ. ("Image" and "Range" mean the same.)

2. Relevant equations
    ##p(t) = a_0 + a_1t + a_2t^2##

3. The attempt at a solution

a) What I understood by the "non-zero element of ker(T)" part of the question was that they didn't want me to just write f(x) = 0. So, this is what I wrote down:

##ker(T) = \{f(x) ∈ P^2 : f(2) = f(1)\}##

b) I'll write down my attempt at a solution:

If we're look for a ##p(t)## such that ##T(p(t)) = π##, then we're going to need an equation that follows the requirements of ##p(2) - p(1) = π##. I was thinking solving the following linear system:

##a_0 + 2a_1 + 4a_2t = π + 2##
    ##a_0 + a_1 + a_2 = 2##

But I feel like I'm overcomplicating things, because the margin given to me in this question doesn't permit the space required to solve this system of linear equations. There must be a clever way of doing this, no? I was thinking about substituting ##a_0 = 0##, since I was asked for a specific solution but I don't know… It seems as if I'm over-complicating things.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

You shouldn't switch between notations, like ##P_2## and ##P^2##.
    With respect to a): I understood it as to give an example of such a vector ##f##. So which polynomial ##f(t) \neq 0## would satisfy ##f(2) = f(1)##?
    It might help to write the conditions on kernel and range in terms of your unknowns: ##a_0 \, , \, a_1\, , \, a_2 \,.##

As to b). The same advice here. What is ##T(p(t))## written out? If you do so, it should be easy to find values, such that ##T(p(t)) = \pi.##
    (And you have a "t" too many in your equations.)

4. Jul 24, 2016 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

Hint for part (2): What is T(p) for p(t) = at?

5. Jul 24, 2016 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

ker(T) is a set, which is what you wrote down. The question asks you to find a non-zero element of this set.

By the way, note that the term is spelled kernel; you misspelled it (with an a) in the thread title. I corrected it.

6. Jul 24, 2016 #5
    Excuse the typos… So if f(2) = f(1), then: ##a_0 + a_1 + a_2 = a_0 + 2a_1 + 4a_2##… Cancel out the ##a_0##s, and you'd get: ##a_1 + a_2 = 2a_1 + 4a_2##

With a little bit of isolation, you'd get:
    ##a_1 = 2a_1##
    ##a_2 = 4a_2##

So, ##ker T= \{f(x) ∈ P_2 : a_1 = 2a_1; a_2 = 4a_2; a_0 = a_0\}## ?

EDIT: Forgot to add the fact that ##a_0 = a_0##

7. Jul 24, 2016 #6

fresh_42

You must not separate the ##a_i## because your codomain ##\mathbb{R}## is one-dimensional. Thus you can only say ##3a_2 + a_1 = 0## for polynomials ##p(t) = a_2 t^2 +a_1t +a_0 \in \ker(T)##. With that you can easily find a ##p(t) \in \ker(T) - \{0\}##.
    The range can be treated similar.

8. Jul 24, 2016 #7
    Ok so ##T(p(t)) = p(2) - p(1)## and if we allow ##p(t) = at## then: ##T(p(t)) = 2a - a## If we want it to equal π, then we would set ##2a - a = π##. Obviously, ##a = π## in this example.

I'm just gonna type up my attempt at extending what you said up to the actual question:

##T(p(t)) = 4a_2 + 2a_1 + a_0 - a_2 - a_1 - a_0 = 3a_2 + a_1 = π##

So, ##img T= \{f(x) ∈ P_2 : 3a_2 + a_1 = π\}##?

9. Jul 24, 2016 #8
    I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean (we haven't taken codomain.) After solving the image part (hopefully I did so correctly?) I can understand where I took a weird route in isolating the variables, but why isn't that a valid move? Anyway, here is how I'd solve it using the method that (I think) you're describing:

##4a_2 + 2a_1 + a_0 = a_0 + a_1 + a_2##
    ##3a_2 - a_1 = 0##

Thus: ##ker T = \{f(x) ∈ P_2 : 3a_2 - a_1 = 0\}##

10. Jul 24, 2016 #9

fresh_42

No. ##img \; T## denotes the entire image, range of ##T##, not only the ones which end up in ##\pi##. It is not a set of polynomials anymore since you evaluated them at points ##2## and ##1## and got a real number out of it. So the image is a set of real numbers.
    Which are the real numbers, that can be written as ## f(2) - f(1) = 3a_2 + a_1##?
    Are there real numbers which can't be written this way?

For the example with ##\pi## you have to find numbers ##a_2## and ##a_1## such that ##3a_2 + a_1 = \pi##.
    pasmith's hint meant: you can choose ##a_2=0## and only bother with ##a=a_1##.

It has to be ##+a_1##, but yes. And it's better to say what the ##a_i## mean in this context, so
    ##ker \, T = \{ f(x) \in P_2 : f(x) = a_2x^2 + a_1 x + a_0 \wedge 3a_2 +a_1 = 0\}##

codomain is the english term for the set which you map to. In your case ##\mathbb{R}##.

11. Jul 24, 2016 #10

Aaah! Silly me, of course the img isn't what I stated! So since the question is asking for a specific element, I just need to formulate a polynomial… right? So I'll just let ##a_2 = π## and ##a_1 = -2π##. So, the specific element would be: ##πt^2 - 2πt = p(t)##

And yeah the minus was an accident in the kernel. thanks for the help, I think I got it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted