1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra-Linear dependence

1. May 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

let U be a 3x3 matrix containng columns C1, C2, C3. The three column vectors C1= (a,0,0) , C2=(b,d,0), C3=(c,e,f)
    prove that if a=0 or d=0 or f=0 (3cases), the columns of U are dependent?
    problem from Linear algebra and applications, fourth editon, Gilbert strang

2. Relevant equations
    no eqations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I successfully proved the first two cases
    if a=0, if we multiply C3 or C2 with zero then C1 will be equal to C2 or C3. The columns become independent
    if d=0, if we multiply C1 with b/a and C2 with a/b, C1 and C2 will be identical and the columns become independent.
    But i dont know how to prove the third case, i tried with different comibinations of scalars with multiply with C2 and C3, but i can't make this two columns identical. Enlighten me.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The third case has f= 0 so the three vectors are (a,0,0), (b, d, 0), and (c, e, 0).
    You want to find numbers x and y such that (c, e, 0)= x(a, 0, 0)+ y(b, d, 0).
    That is equivalent to the two equations c= xa+ yb and e= yd. Obviously, if d is not 0, y= e/d and your first equation become c= xa+ be/d. It should be easy to solve that for x. If d= 0 there are an infinite number of soutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted