1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra- Linear Transformations

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let T: R3--> R4 be a linear transformation. Assume that T(1,-2,3) = (1,2,3,4), T(2,1,-1)=(1,0,-1,0)
    Which of the following is T(-8,1-3)?

A. (-5,-4,-3,-8)
    B. (-5,-4,-3,8)
    C. (-5,-4,3,-8).
    D.(-5,4,3,-8)
    E (-5,4,-3,8)
    F. None of the above.

2. Relevant equations

I really have no clue how to solve this problem. All I know is how to verify if it is linear transformation or not by verifying T(u+v) = T(u) + T(v) and cT(u) = T(c(u)).
    And that T(x) = Ax and also that T(0)=0

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried applying those above but nothing works for me. To be honest I have no clue how to start, I tried to find patterns but failed to identify any. Any hints?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can combine those two conditions for linearity and say ##T(r\vec{u}+s\vec{v}) = rT(\vec{u}) + sT(\vec{v})##. Try think how that might be useful in light of the information you've been given about T.

4. Apr 1, 2013 #3
    I got something like T(r+2s, -2r+s, 3r-s) = (r+s, 2r, 3r-s, 4r) Then the answer could be A. But how do you actually do the question how tdo you solve that? I just did by guessing and inputing numbers to get one of the choices (A-F).

5. Apr 1, 2013 #4
    Oh I got it, you just have to set the T(....) = T(-8,1,-3) :D

6. Apr 1, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted