1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Matrix Inverse with an unknown element

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all [itex]r[/itex] so that the matrix [itex]\begin{bmatrix} 2 & 4 & 2 \\ 1 & r & 3 \\ 1 & 2 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/itex] is inversable.

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss-Jordan elimination on a matrix augmented with an identity matrix.

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\begin{bmatrix} 2 & 4 & 2 & | & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & r & 3 & | & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 2 & 1 & | & 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

(1/2)R1

[itex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 1 & | & \frac{1}{2} & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & r & 3 & | & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 2 & 1 & | & 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

R2 - R1
    R3 - R1

[itex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 & 1 & | &\frac{1}{2} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & r - 2 & 2 & | &-\frac{1}{2} & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & | & -\frac{1}{2} & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

And this is where I am stumped. Any bump in the right direction will be appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That would be "invertible."
    You're sort of doing things at random. Instead, add -1 times row 1 to row 2 to eliminate the leading entry in row 2. Add -1 times row 1 to row 3 to eliminate the leading entry in row 3.

IOW, R2 <-- -R1 + R2, and R3 <-- -R1 + R3.

Next, use the leading entry in row 2 to eliminate the entries above and below it.

Finally, use the remaining entry in row 3 to eliminate the two entries above it.

4. Oct 13, 2011 #3
    Sorry. I posted my matrixes as A and I before I thought of a way to augment A and it got all messed up. I think I've fixed all the errors now.

5. Oct 13, 2011 #4

Mark44

Are you sure you have the right matrix? I just noticed that the first and third rows are the same. That means that your matrix is row-equivalent to one with zeroes in the bottom row, which means that its determinant is zero, which means that it is not invertible.

6. Oct 13, 2011 #5
    It's the right matrix. I guess the answer is that it isn't invertible.

7. Oct 13, 2011 #6

Mark44

Trick question...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook