Linear algebra, parametric equation, intersectin of line

In summary, the conversation was about finding the parametric equation for the line of intersection of two planes in 3-D, given the equations 2x+y-2z=1 and x-2y+z=-3. Using Gauss Jordan elimination, the parametric equation was found to be x=3/5t-1/5, y=4/5t+7/5, and z=t. This is the solution to the problem and no further steps are necessary.
cleopatra

Homework Statement

Two equations for two planes in 3-D
2x+y-2z=1
x-2y+z=-3
Find the parametric equation for the line of intersection of the two planes by solving these two equations togeather.

The Attempt at a Solution

Gauss Jordan gives:
1 0 -3/5 -1/5
0 1 -4/5 7/5

if z=t
x=3/5t-1/5
y=4/5t+7/5

I don´t know how to finish the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have already solved the problem!

x=3/5t-1/5
y=4/5t+7/5
z=t

is the parametric equation for the intersection.

Last edited:
You are already finished. z=t, x=(3/5)t-1/5 and y=(4/5)t+7/5 is the intersection line in parametric form. Are you supposed to express it in vector form or something?

really? I thought this was only the parametric equation and I had to find some special line of intersection as well.

cleopatra said:
really? I thought this was only the parametric equation and I had to find some special line of intersection as well.

Nah. The problem says find the line that is the intersection of the two planes. No line intersection involved.

okey thanks for that

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, matrices, and linear transformations. It involves solving systems of linear equations and understanding the properties and operations of vector spaces.

2. How are parametric equations used in linear algebra?

Parametric equations are often used in linear algebra to represent a set of equations using parameters, rather than explicit variables. This allows for a more general solution to a problem, and can be useful when dealing with systems of equations that have multiple variables and solutions.

3. What is the intersection of two lines in linear algebra?

The intersection of two lines in linear algebra refers to the point at which the two lines intersect on a graph. It is the solution to the system of equations formed by the two lines, and can be found by solving the equations simultaneously.

4. How do you find the intersection of two lines using parametric equations?

To find the intersection of two lines using parametric equations, you can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for the variables. The resulting solution will be the point of intersection between the two lines.

5. Why is the intersection of two lines important in linear algebra?

The intersection of two lines is important in linear algebra because it represents the solution to a system of equations. This can be used to solve real-world problems, such as finding the point of intersection between two moving objects or determining the optimal solution to a system of equations in economics or engineering.