1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra problem (linear equations)

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given augmented matrix

list conditions on a and b such that there is:

i) no solution
    ii) infinitely many solutions and
    iii) a unique solution

3. The attempt at a solution

I row-reduced the matrix to

and ended up with

i) for no solution, a = 0, 2 (since on the steps to row reducing, there was a [tex]\frac{1}{a}[/tex] in one of the entries). My textbook, however, says that a = 2, b != -1 are the conditions for no solution. Why b != -1 and why not a = 0?

Now I didn't get a result for unique solution and infinitely many solutions separately.

I only got that [tex]x1 = \frac{b+1}{2-a}[/tex] and [tex]x2 = \frac{-2 - ab}{2-a}[/tex]
    which is the correct unique solution except that the book places restrictions on a and b, namely that they must be a = 2, b = -1. Where are these restrictions coming from and wouldn't a = 2 make it have no solution? Also how would one get an infinite amount of solutions in this case? Thanks.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the result for x1 and x2. If a=2 there is no solution if either numerator doesn't vanish. But if they both have the form 0/0 then you have an infinite number of solutions. To verify this in a clearer way just put a=2 and b=-1 into the original equation. Then the first row and second rows of the matrix are the same, so you really only have one equation in two unknowns.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?