Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Proof, Is it correct?

1. Jul 5, 2010 #1
    I would like to have someone go over my proof and see if its correct or at least on the right track. Here's the problem:

Let V be a finite-dimensional vector space, and let T: V → V be linear. If rank(T) = rank(T²), prove that R(T) ∩ N(T) = {0}.

PROOF:

Lemma: Let V be a finite-dimensional vector space, and let T: V → V be linear. If rank(T) = rank(T²), then N(T) = N(T²).

Proof: By the Nullity-Rank Theorem (i.e. Let V and W be vector spaces, and let T: V → W be linear. If V is finite-dimensional, then nullity(T) + ran(T) = dim(V)) I have,

dim(V) = rank(T) + nullity(T)
    dim(V) = rank(T²) + nullity(T²)

This implies that nullity(T) = nullity(T²). Furthermore, N(T) and N(T²) are both subspaces of V and as a matter of fact, they are both vector spaces. Now it is easily shown that N(T) ⊂ N(T²) and that N(T) is a subspace of N(T²). Therefore, by the Dimension Theorem (i.e. Let W be subspace of a finite-dimensional vector space V. Then W is finite-dimensional and dim(W) ≤ dim(V). Moreover, if dim(W) = dim(V), then V = W) we have N(T) = N(T²). □

Seeking a contradiction, suppose that R(T) ∩ N(T) ≠ {0}. Therefore, there is an x ≠ 0 ∈ R(T) ∩ N(T). This implies that x ∈ R(T) and x ∈ N(T). Since x ∈ R(T) then T(y) = x for some y ∈ V. Note that T²(y) = T(T(y)) = T(x) = 0 which means that y ∈ N(T²) and hence by the lemma y ∈ N(T) also. However, this implies that T(y) = 0 and hence a contradiction since x = T(y) ≠ 0. ♦

I'd appreciate if someone could look at it. Thanks a lot!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You've probably said more than is necessary but I find nothing wrong with it.

4. Jul 5, 2010 #3
    lol you're the same person as on mathhelpforum...thanks again :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook