Linear Algebra. Proving differentiable functions are a vector space.

• Thread starter datran
  • Start date
Question: Show the set of all differentiable functions on (-infinity, +infinity) that satisfy f′ + 2f = 0 is a vector space.

I started the problem by assuming that f and g are both differentiable functions that satisfy this vector space.

Then I ran through the ten axioms of addition and scalar multiplication and proving that each one works.

I feel like that does not answer the question though since why would I need the equation f' + 2f = 0?

How does that equation come into play?

Thanks for any help provided.

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
welcome to pf!

hi datran! welcome to pf! :smile:
I feel like that does not answer the question though since why would I need the equation f' + 2f = 0?

How does that equation come into play?

you have to prove eg that (f+g) satisfies that equation :wink:

(yes, i know it's obvious … but you still have to prove it!)

Oh!

So I would do (f+g) = (f+g)' + 2(f+g) = 0

and same thing over and over for the 10 axioms.

So really f and g are like variables?

Thank you so much! That actually made many more problems clearer!

Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You can start by proving that the set of all differentiable functions from ℝ to ℝ with the standard definitions of addition and scalar multiplication is a vector space. (Looks like you've done that already). Denote this space by V. Define U={f in V|f'+2f=0}. U is by definition a subset of V. If you prove that U contains the 0 function and is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, you can conclude that U is a subspace of V.