Linear Algebra Reference and Text

In summary, the author is a computer scientist who has recently recovered from a 4 year hospitalization. He is seeking to re-aquant himself with his past work (high end computer graphics engines). He recommends "Linear algebra done right" by Sheldon Axler and "Elementary Linear Algebra" by Anton and Rorres.
Gabriel...
Hello All

I have recently recovered from a 4 year hospitalization which pretty much ended my career as a computer scientist. Much of the time I was barley lucid and thus time and medication have taken their toll on my memory. Although I retain much of the theory, I have found my knowledge of the underlying mathematical mechanics is less then stellar.

I have finally reached a point where I should be able to return to work in 6 months. With this in mind I am seeking to reaquaint myself with my past work (high end computer graphics engines).

I was hoping that someone might be able to suggest a good linear algebra textbook, that is thorough without being overly verbose in explanation. I was also hoping that a good reference work could also be suggested.

I appreciate any help that may be provided.

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
I really like "Linear algebra done right" by Sheldon Axler. I recently used it myself to refresh my memory. I'd be surprised if you find a better one, but if you'd like to see other recommendations, I suggest you search the science book forum. (This thread will probably be moved there when a moderator sees it).

I hope things work out for you. That sounds like a nasty illness.

Linear Algebra by Gilbert Strang is a good choice

Although a good book, I doubt that Strang will be of much use in Computer Graphics.

A better introduction is

Elementary Linear Algebra by Anton and Rorres.

This comes in two versions, plain vanilla and 'applications version'.

Some other books that may be of use include

Geometry of Spatial Forms by Gasson

The Mathematical Description of Shape and Form by Lord and Wilson

Computational Geometry for Design and Manufacture by Faux and Pratt

Hope the recovery goes well.

So sorry to hear of your ills, and, BTW, welcome to Physics Forums! I like Meyer, Matrix Analysis and Applied Linear Algebra. It's hands-on and applied, just like the title says.

I second both Meyer "Matrix Analysis and Applied Linear Algebra" [my current book] & Axler "Linear Algebra Done Right" [the next book I'll be using].

I've encountered very few issues with Meyer's work so far, it's superb & if you already know some LA I bet you'd fly through it even though it is like 800 pages. What's more is that there is a solutions manual.

Thankyou All for your replies and warm welcome.

I will look into all of your suggestions. I have just finished re-aquaniting myself with Eberly (3D Engines) and Moller/Haines(Real Time Renedring) and the DirectX/OpenGL standards and now need to move on to obtaining a more solid mathematical understanding of the concepts involved (ie the why, not just the how etc), hence the textbook question. I will be branching into radiosity methods in the near future (once I am comfortable again with Linear Algebra) and will then ask you good people for your calculus reference suggestions.

Moderator - Thankyou for not killing the thread, I realize there are several questions about linear algebra texts on this forum but none seemed tailored to graphics (3D engines specifically). Although I do not mind expanding my mathematical knowledge beyond the requirements of my past (and hopefully) future work with a more general text, I wanted to be certain that the specific topics I required would be covered.

Once again many thanks for all your help, I will post back when I have made my choice for any that are interested.

PS For any that are interested my past work was in parallel processing and distributed apps, signal processing (radars) and some battlefield simulation (3D Game Engines for Defence). Graphics and Visual Realism has always been where my interest lay (My honours thesis was on Fast Ray Tracing/Radiosity Methods), and much of my hobbyist work was in 3D game engine design. I figured why not start with something I enjoy. If I can build an optimised, working 3D engine then I should be rehabilitated enough to return to work (most likely in a far less interesting (from my perspective anyway) discipline). Plus it is something I have always wanted to do.

Regards

Last edited:

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, matrices, and their properties. It involves the manipulation and analysis of these mathematical objects to solve real-world problems.

2. What are the key concepts in Linear Algebra?

Some of the key concepts in Linear Algebra include vector spaces, linear transformations, matrix operations, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations. These concepts form the foundation of the subject and are crucial for understanding more advanced topics.

3. How is Linear Algebra used in different fields?

Linear Algebra has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and solve problems involving linear systems, such as electrical circuits, data analysis, and optimization.

4. What are some useful resources for learning Linear Algebra?

There are many helpful resources for learning Linear Algebra, including textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. Some popular textbooks include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Linear Algebra?

To improve your understanding of Linear Algebra, it is essential to practice solving problems and understand the underlying concepts. You can also benefit from discussing the subject with others and seeking help from a tutor or instructor. Additionally, exploring applications of Linear Algebra in different fields can help solidify your understanding of the subject.