Linear Algebra: Verifying A^2-2A+7I=0

In summary, the conversation discussed verifying the equation A^2-2A+7I=0, where A is a squared matrix and I is the identity matrix. The attempted solution involved squaring a matrix A, subtracting a new matrix with 2A, and adding 7I. However, the result was not the zero matrix and it was questioned why that was the case. The conversation then clarified that the equation is only true for specific matrices, such as A = [1 √6; -√6 1] and any matrix that is similar.
Mathematicsss

Homework Statement

Verify that A^2-2A+7I=0

Homework Equations

A is a squared matrix and I is the identity matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

I squared a matrix, which I called A, by multiplying the two A matrices together, then I subtracting the new matrix with the third matrix 2A, then I added 7I , however I did not get the zero matrix, why is that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematicsss said:

Homework Statement

Verify that A^2-2A+7I=0

Homework Equations

I squared a matrix, which I called A, by multiplying the two A matrices together, then I subtracting the new matrix with the third matrix 2A, then I added 7I , however I did not get the zero matrix, why is that?
What was the matrix A that you were working with? I'm pretty sure that A was given as a specific matrix.

Mathematicsss said:

Homework Statement

Verify that A^2-2A+7I=0

Homework Equations

A "square" matrix is not a "squared" matrix. If ##A## is a square matrix, ##A^2## is a squared matrix. But, terminology aside, the equation you want to verify needs a specific matrix ##A## to begin with; it is false for most ##2 \times 2## matrices, but is true for some of them.

It's true for ##A=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & \sqrt 6 \\ -\sqrt 6 & 1 \end{pmatrix}## and any matrix that is similar.
It's not true for any other 2x2 matrix.

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, linear transformations, and vector spaces. It involves the study of vectors, matrices, and their operations.

2. What is the significance of verifying A^2-2A+7I=0 in Linear Algebra?

Verifying A^2-2A+7I=0 is important because it allows us to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix. It also helps in solving systems of linear equations and understanding the behavior of linear transformations.

3. How do you verify A^2-2A+7I=0?

To verify A^2-2A+7I=0, we need to multiply the given matrix A with itself (A^2), then multiply A by 2, and finally add 7 times the identity matrix (7I). If the resulting matrix is a zero matrix, then the equation is verified.

4. What does the equation A^2-2A+7I=0 tell us about the matrix A?

The equation A^2-2A+7I=0 tells us that the matrix A has eigenvalues that are the solutions to the quadratic equation x^2-2x+7=0. It also tells us that A satisfies the characteristic polynomial det(A-λI)=0, where λ is the eigenvalue.

5. Can A^2-2A+7I=0 have multiple solutions?

No, A^2-2A+7I=0 can have at most two distinct solutions. This is because it is a quadratic equation with a maximum of two roots. However, if the matrix A is a complex matrix, then the solutions can be complex numbers.