Stuck finding a specific value of an inverse of a complex matrix

In summary, an inverse of a complex matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in an identity matrix. It is important to find a specific value of an inverse of a complex matrix in order to solve equations involving matrices and understand the properties of complex systems. There are several methods for finding a specific value, but it can be challenging and some matrices may not have an inverse. Real-world applications of finding a specific value of an inverse of a complex matrix include data encryption, image processing, optimization problems, and solving equations in scientific fields.
Razberryz

Homework Statement

Consider the following matrix.

A =

2 + 4i...1 + 5i

2 − 3i...2 + 3i

Let B = A-1. Find b12 (i.e., find the entry in row 1, column 2 of A−1)

Homework Equations

A-1 = 1/(ad - cb)*
[ d -b ]
[ -c a ]
<--imagine as 2x2 matrix with first row (d,-b) and second row (-c,a)

The Attempt at a Solution

1/(ad - cb) =

1/((2+4i)(2+3i) - (2-3i)(1+5i))

1/((4+14i-12) - (2+7i+15))

1/(4+14i-12-2-7i-15)

1/(-25+7i)

[(d,-b)(-c,a)] =

[ d -b ]
[ -c a ] =

2 + 3i...-1 - 5i

-2 + 3i...2 + 4i

So for first row, second column, we should be multiplying 1/(-25+7i) by -1 - 5i. I'm getting -10/576 + 12i/576, but my answer is wrong. Where is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Razberryz said:

Homework Statement

Consider the following matrix.

A =

2 + 4i...1 + 5i

2 − 3i...2 + 3i

Let B = A-1. Find b12 (i.e., find the entry in row 1, column 2 of A−1)

Homework Equations

A-1 = 1/(ad - cb)*
[ d -b ]
[ -c a ]
<--imagine as 2x2 matrix with first row (d,-b) and second row (-c,a)

The Attempt at a Solution

1/(ad - cb) =

1/((2+4i)(2+3i) - (2-3i)(1+5i))

1/((4+14i-12) - (2+7i+15))

1/(4+14i-12-2-7i-15)

1/(-25+7i)

[(d,-b)(-c,a)] =

[ d -b ]
[ -c a ] =

2 + 3i...-1 - 5i

-2 + 3i...2 + 4i

So for first row, second column, we should be multiplying 1/(-25+7i) by -1 - 5i. I'm getting -10/576 + 12i/576, but my answer is wrong. Where is my mistake?

I just realized my mistake, it was arithmetic.

What is an inverse of a complex matrix?

An inverse of a complex matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in an identity matrix. In simpler terms, it is the "opposite" of the original matrix and can be used to "undo" any operations performed on the original matrix.

Why is finding a specific value of an inverse of a complex matrix important?

Finding a specific value of an inverse of a complex matrix is important because it allows us to solve equations involving matrices, which is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It also helps us to understand the properties and behavior of complex systems.

What are the methods for finding a specific value of an inverse of a complex matrix?

There are several methods for finding a specific value of an inverse of a complex matrix, including the Gauss-Jordan elimination method, the adjugate matrix method, and the inverse matrix formula. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of matrices.

What are some challenges in finding a specific value of an inverse of a complex matrix?

One of the main challenges in finding a specific value of an inverse of a complex matrix is that it can be a time-consuming and computationally intensive process, especially for larger matrices. Additionally, some matrices may not have an inverse, making it impossible to find a specific value using traditional methods.

What are some real-world applications of finding a specific value of an inverse of a complex matrix?

Finding a specific value of an inverse of a complex matrix has numerous real-world applications, including in data encryption, image processing, and optimization problems. It is also used in various scientific fields to solve complex equations and model real-world systems.