1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algegra: Nul A and Col A relationship if Nul A is not the zero space

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    1. If R is a 6X6 matrix, and Nul R is not the zero space, what can you say about Col R?

3. Well we know that there is some vector that can be added to R to form 0... But how does that relate to Col R ? I mean I really dont know. I am guessing it has something to do with the m where mxn is the size of R.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2

Vid

Look at the rank-nullity theorem.

4. Mar 26, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If R is a 6 by 6 matrix- i.e. represents a linear transformation from 6 dimensional vector space to a 6 dimensional vector space, then the dim of the null space of R plus the dimension of the column space of R is equal to 6- that the rank-nullity theorem Vid mentioned. If the nullity of R is greater than 0, what can you way about the rank of R?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?