Describe all vectors orthogonal to col(A) with a twist

In summary, the set of all vectors orthogonal to the columns of a real mxn matrix A is the linear combination of real and imaginary vectors, since the row space of A^T is orthogonal to its null space in both the real and complex cases.
Bill Thompson
I am trying to solve the following problem:

Let A be a real mxn matrix. Describe the set of all vectors in F^m orthogonal to Col(A).

Here, F^m could be C^m. Now in the real case, I'd say that the column space of A is the row space of A^T, and it is well known that the row space of a matrix is orthogonal to it's null space ---> Col(a) is orthogonal to Null(A^T) (left nullspace). After significant research, I can't see how to change/adapt this statement for the complex field. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think much changes when you move to the complex numbers, or any field in general.
If some real vectors ##\{R^m\} ## are orthogonal to the columns of a purely real A, then the imaginary vectors ##\{i R^m\} ## will also be orthogonal since it is a scalar multiple of an orthogonal vector.
So, then you essentially should have any linear combination of those real and imaginary vectors.

1. What is the meaning of "col(A)" in this context?

In this context, "col(A)" refers to the column space of matrix A. It is the set of all possible linear combinations of the columns of A.

2. What does it mean for a vector to be orthogonal to col(A)?

A vector is orthogonal to col(A) if it is perpendicular to every vector in the column space of A. This means that the dot product of the vector with every column vector in A is equal to 0.

3. Can you provide an example of a vector that is orthogonal to col(A) with a twist?

Yes, a vector that is orthogonal to col(A) with a twist could be [1, 0, -1]. This vector is orthogonal to the column space of A and also has a "twist" or a negative value in the third component.

4. How can one determine all vectors orthogonal to col(A) with a twist?

To determine all vectors orthogonal to col(A) with a twist, one can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This process involves finding a basis for the column space of A and then finding a vector that is orthogonal to this basis. This vector can then be used to find all other vectors that are orthogonal to col(A) with a twist.

5. What is the significance of finding all vectors orthogonal to col(A) with a twist?

Finding all vectors orthogonal to col(A) with a twist can be useful in various applications, such as in linear regression or solving systems of linear equations. It allows for a more complete understanding of the column space of A and can help in finding solutions to problems involving A.