Describe all vectors orthogonal to col(A) with a twist

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Bill Thompson
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I am trying to solve the following problem:

Let A be a real mxn matrix. Describe the set of all vectors in F^m orthogonal to Col(A).

Here, F^m could be C^m. Now in the real case, I'd say that the column space of A is the row space of A^T, and it is well known that the row space of a matrix is orthogonal to it's null space ---> Col(a) is orthogonal to Null(A^T) (left nullspace). After significant research, I can't see how to change/adapt this statement for the complex field. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think much changes when you move to the complex numbers, or any field in general.
If some real vectors ##\{R^m\} ## are orthogonal to the columns of a purely real A, then the imaginary vectors ##\{i R^m\} ## will also be orthogonal since it is a scalar multiple of an orthogonal vector.
So, then you essentially should have any linear combination of those real and imaginary vectors.