Linear dependence and Wronskian

In summary, the question is asking to show that the two functions f(x) and g(x) are not both solutions to the same second order linear DE for non-zero choices of M, B, and V. The function that is not a solution to that equation is the Wronskian, which for these two functions is never zero.
missavvy

Homework Statement

Okay so the question is to show that these 2 functions are linearly dependent.
ie. they are not both solutions to the same 2nd order, linear, homogeneous differential equation for non zero choices of, say M, B and V

Homework Equations

f(x) = sin(Mx)
g(x) = Bx + V

The Attempt at a Solution

So they would be dependent if their Wronskian is equal to 0.
W = Bsin(Mx) - (Bx + V)Mcos(Mx)

I'm stuck at this point.. I can't seem to find any identities to make this = 0. I've tried expanding too.. I don't think it helps much. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Those functions aren't linearly dependent, they are linearly independent. That makes your job easier. Just find a value of x where the Wronskian DOESN'T vanish.

missavvy said:

Homework Statement

Okay so the question is to show that these 2 functions are linearly dependent.
ie. they are not both solutions to the same 2nd order, linear, homogeneous differential equation for non zero choices of, say M, B and V

From your i.e., part, I think you misunderstand the question. You aren't asked to show the functions are linearly dependent, which they aren't. You are asked to show those two functions are not solutions to the same second order linear DE. That is a different question.

The point of this exercise is to use the theorem that says two solutions of such an equation will have a Wronskian that is either identically zero or never zero. These two functions can only be solutions of the same equation if they satisfy that Wronskian property. So all you have to do is show the Wronskian is neither identically zero nor never zero. Don't you just love double negatives?

[Edited for technical accuracy]

Last edited:
Thanks, LCKurtz. I guess I wasn't fully plumbing the depth of the i.e. and double negative here.

LCKurtz said:
From your i.e., part

From the context, I don't think i.e. stands for id est. What does it mean here?

okay that makes much more sense. It's the way the question was phrased that had me confused. Thanks.

1. What is linear dependence?

Linear dependence is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two or more vectors in a vector space. It means that one vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the others.

2. What is the Wronskian?

The Wronskian is a mathematical function that is used to determine the linear independence of a set of functions. It is represented by the symbol W and is defined as the determinant of a particular matrix formed by the given functions.

3. How is the Wronskian used to test for linear dependence?

If the Wronskian of a set of functions is equal to zero for all values of the independent variable, then the functions are linearly dependent. If the Wronskian is not equal to zero, then the functions are linearly independent.

4. Can the Wronskian be used for any set of functions?

Yes, the Wronskian can be used to test for linear dependence for any set of functions, as long as they are differentiable and defined on the same interval.

5. How is the Wronskian related to differential equations?

The Wronskian is often used in the study of differential equations to determine whether a set of solutions to the equation is linearly independent. If the Wronskian of the solutions is not equal to zero, then they form a fundamental set of solutions.