Linear Equations dealing with motion

In summary, two trains are traveling towards each other. The first train, traveling at 57 mph, leaves Chaney City at 11AM for Atlantic City, which is located 543 miles south. The second train, traveling at 42 mph, leaves Atlantic City at 1PM for Chaney City. To find the time at which the trains pass each other, we need to solve for the variables x and y, representing the time it takes for the first and second train to travel the distance, respectively. After solving for x and y, we can plug them into the equation 57(t+2) + 42(t) = 543 to determine the time at which the trains will cross. However, it is important to
kazuchan
At 11AM a train traveling 57 mph leaves Chaney City for Atlantic City 543 miles south. At 1PM a train on a parallel track leaves Atlantic City for Chaney City and travels at 42 mph. At what time will they pass each other?

I have 57x+42y=543 and x+2=y
and I solved for x and y. I got x=51/11 and y=73/11 but now I do not know what do do from here. Can someone please help me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your x and y supposed to represent? There is no reason for 2 variables - this is how I would solve this problem:

You need to know how long it will take the trains to move 543 miles collectively. Let’s call 1:00pm time 0…

So train 1 moves 57mphs and starts 2 hours before time 0. So its distance would be 57(t+2).

Train 2 leaves at time 0 and travels 42 miles per hour so it would be 42(t+0) = 42(t)

So since trains are moving in opposite directions we need to know how long it will take them collectively to move 543 miles, so: 57(t+2) + 42(t) = 543

Once you find t that’s how many hours past time 0 (1:00pm) they will cross.

Last edited:
I got it. I had my second equation wrong. it should have been x=2+y. thanks for the help anyways.

Did you learn nothing from JonF's response? Writing "57x+42y=543" is meaningless if you don't say what "x" and "y" represent. No one here could help you without knowing that! We certainly could not say how to find "the time at which the trains pass" from x and y if we don't know what x and y represent!

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation that represents a straight line on a graph. It contains one or more variables and constants, and the variables are raised to the first power.

2. How do linear equations relate to motion?

Linear equations are used to represent the relationship between distance, time, and velocity in a straight line motion. They can be used to calculate the speed, distance, or time of an object's motion.

3. What is the formula for a linear equation dealing with motion?

The formula for a linear equation dealing with motion is d = vt + d0, where d represents the distance traveled, v is the velocity, t is the time, and d0 is the initial distance.

4. How do you solve a linear equation dealing with motion?

To solve a linear equation dealing with motion, you need to identify the variables and constants and plug them into the formula. Then, solve for the unknown variable using algebraic operations.

5. Can linear equations be used for non-linear motion?

No, linear equations can only be used to represent straight line motion. For non-linear motion, other equations, such as quadratic or exponential equations, are needed.