1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SHM: Gravity-Powered Train (Brace Yourself)

1. Apr 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two cities are connected by a straight underground tunnel, as shown in the diagram. A train starting from rest travels between the two cities powered only by the gravitational force of the Earth, [itex]F = - \frac{mgr}{R}[/itex].
    Find the time [itex]t_1[/itex] taken to travel between the two cities (i.e. half the period). The distance between the two cities is d and the radius of the Earth is R. Now, suppose the train is given an initial an initial velocity [itex]v_0[/itex]. What is [itex]v_0[/itex] if the time taken to reach the other end of the tunnel is now [itex]t_2 = \frac{t_1}{2}[/itex].

Hint: Since [itex]t_1 = \frac{T_1}{2} [/itex] that means [itex]t_1 = \frac{1}{2} \frac{2 \pi}{w} = \frac{\pi}{w}[/itex] and therefore [itex]t_2 = \frac{\pi}{2w}[/itex].

Capture.PNG

I have the answer to this question I just don't know how to do it.

2. Relevant equations

Simple Harmonic Motion, Separable DE, Second-order DE, Newton's Second Law, Chain Rule

3. The attempt at a solution

I can get an equation for [itex]v_0[/itex] in terms of x and v but I don't know how to get that in terms of t or if I'm even approaching this the right way. 20160410_175252.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Your picture of your work is very hard to read. Can you type your work into the forum? Have you learned how to use LaTeX here yet? There is a tutorial on it in the Help/How-To section (hover over INFO at the top right of the page). :smile:

4. Apr 10, 2016 #3
    the 2nd part of the question is still SHM, which is known to have a sinusoidal solution A*cos(ωt+Φ), where A and Φ are to be found by fitting the initial conditions given above. With a complete trajectory it should be trivial to work out the required v0. Chain rule is not required to solve the equation.

5. Apr 10, 2016 #4
    Hiya, sorry about that. It wasn't going down the right path so I tried it again below.
    Thanks. Overthinking can be the worst. However, I'm still doing something wrong I believe. This is my attempt:
    [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d^2} x}{\mathrm{d} t^2} = \frac{-g}{r} x[/tex]Therefore the solution is of type: [itex]x = Asin(wt + \phi)[/itex] and also since [itex]x(0) = Asin(\phi) = \frac{-d}{2}[/itex], and [itex]x(t_2) = x \left( \frac{\pi}{2w} \right )= Asin\left( \frac{\pi}{2} + \phi\right ) = \frac{d}{2}[/itex] this gives a value of [itex]\phi = - \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]. Plugging this back into the original equation solves for the amplitude: [itex]Asin(\frac{-\pi}{4}) = \frac{-d}{2}[/itex]. Therefore [itex]A = \frac{d}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]. Since [itex]v_0 = \frac{\mathrm{d} x(0)}{\mathrm{d} t} = Awcos\left(\phi \right )= Awcos\left( - \frac{\pi}{4}\right )= \frac{d}{\sqrt{2}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}w[/itex]. Thus: [tex]v_0 = \frac{d}{2} w[/tex].

6. Apr 10, 2016 #5
    This is the result I obtained as well

7. Apr 10, 2016 #6
    Thanks for your help guys. I have a much better understanding of the problem now (it's kinda neat actually) but the answer given in the solution page is [itex]v_0 = Rw[/itex], which I'm not sure how to obtain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted