Linearizing a system of equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a MATLAB model for the z-axis of a quad-copter using equations of motion. The equations need to be linearized and arranged in state space representation, with two equations for each state. The use of small angle approximations and linearization of voltages is also mentioned. There is a question about how to treat velocities in the linearization process.
Jayalk97

Homework Statement

upload_2018-3-20_23-50-7.png

So these are the equations of motion for a quad-copter. I am supposed to create a MATLAB model for the z-axis. In order to do this I have to linearize the equations around these points, and arrange them in state space representation.
upload_2018-3-20_23-51-59.png

Homework Equations

As above

The Attempt at a Solution

So there are supposed to be two equations for each state. The first equation, linearized, would just be
x' = v_x
x'' = v_x'
As would the next two, but with y and z correct?

As for the rest I would just take the partial derivative with respect to each point of linearization, evaluate each by all of the given points, multplied by the value, like this (pardon my lack of formatting):

x'' = v_x'
v_x' = (df/dx)x+(df/dy)y+df(dphi)phi+...etc?

I hope that all made sense, am I going about this correctly?

Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-20_23-50-7.png
    upload_2018-3-20_23-50-7.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 2,771
  • upload_2018-3-20_23-51-59.png
    upload_2018-3-20_23-51-59.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 540
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this is allowed, but you may be able to use small angle approximations for sine and cosine of the two tilt angles. As far as the voltage hint, what do you know about how these operate?

Likes FactChecker
scottdave said:
I'm not sure if this is allowed, but you may be able to use small angle approximations for sine and cosine of the two tilt angles. As far as the voltage hint, what do you know about how these operate?
I agree. I think that the constant and x term of the power series of the trig functions at the point would be enough for linearization. That is, the value and slope at the point should be good enough.

scottdave said:
The voltage hint is that since we are only operating in the z-axis they will always have the same value. I think it has to do with converting it to state space representation, not
FactChecker said:
I agree. I think that the constant and x term of the power series of the trig functions at the point would be enough for linearization. That is, the value and slope at the point should be good enough.
I'm certain we use small angle approximations, he said we would prior to getting the assignment. What confuses me is how to o this for both x and u. Do I use linearization with the voltages as well? Or would I just take the square root of the function to get the voltages.

Jayalk97 said:
Do I use linearization with the voltages as well? Or would I just take the square root of the function to get the voltages.
If the voltages change in response to the dynamics of the system, then you need to linearize them. If they remain constant in the condition that you are studying, then their value at that point should be used.

FactChecker said:
If the voltages change in response to the dynamics of the system, then you need to linearize them. If they remain constant in the condition that you are studying, then their value at that point should be used.
I see, a followup question on linearization I have is how would I treat the velocities? An example would be w_z'. In this equation, when I take the partial derivative with respect to phi, how would I treat w_x, since it is the first derivative of phi?

Related to Linearizing a system of equations?

1. What does it mean to linearize a system of equations?

Linearizing a system of equations means transforming a set of nonlinear equations into linear equations in order to make them easier to solve.

2. Why is linearization important in science?

Linearization is important in science because many physical processes can be modeled using linear equations. By linearizing a system of equations, scientists can easily analyze and predict the behavior of these processes.

3. How do you linearize a system of equations?

To linearize a system of equations, you can use techniques such as substitution, Taylor series expansion, or linear approximation. The specific method used will depend on the complexity and type of equations in the system.

4. What are the benefits of linearizing a system of equations?

The benefits of linearizing a system of equations include simplifying the equations, making them easier to solve, and providing a better understanding of the underlying physical processes. It also allows for easier analysis and prediction of the system's behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to linearizing a system of equations?

Yes, there are limitations to linearizing a system of equations. Linearization may only be applicable to certain types of equations and may not accurately represent the behavior of a system in all situations. It also relies on the assumption that the system is close to a linear regime, which may not always be the case.