Linear equations for amplitude factors

In summary: Thanks for pointing this out!oh okay. I just always learned that a matrix is invertible if determinant≠0. So there exists one solution.
aaaa202
My book discusses the oscillations of systems for small pertubations around an equilibrium point. By considering taylors expansions of the potential and kinetic energy they are led to a set of equations for the amplitude factors. I have attached the crucial lines as a picture.
My question is to how they solve the system of equations. They say that we have n solutions so any nontrivial solution requires the determinant of the system of equations to be zero. I think I am misunderstanding something here, because how does that solve the system of equations? Everyone knows that a system has no solutions if the determinant is zero. So what information does requiring the determinant to be zero give?

Attachments

• oscillations.png
    oscillations.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
My book discusses the oscillations of systems for small pertubations around an equilibrium point. By considering taylors expansions of the potential and kinetic energy they are led to a set of equations for the amplitude factors. I have attached the crucial lines as a picture.
My question is to how they solve the system of equations. They say that we have n solutions so any nontrivial solution requires the determinant of the system of equations to be zero. I think I am misunderstanding something here, because how does that solve the system of equations? Everyone knows that a system has no solutions if the determinant is zero. So what information does requiring the determinant to be zero give?

An inhomogeneous system of equations has no solution if the determinant is zero, but a homogeneous one has (nonzero) solution only when the
determinant is zero.

See the following equations:

A
x+y=0
2x+2y=0

B

x+y=0
x+2y=0which one has nonzero solution?

In case of small oscillation, you have an unknown parameter ω and you get the possible values of ω from the condition that the determinant is zero.

ehild

Last edited:
A homogeneous linear system always has a trivial - all zeros - solution. This corresponds to the stationary solution of the original system of ODEs. But they are are looking for (non-stationary) perturbations in the vicinity of the stationary solution. So the linear system must have a non-trivial solution in that case. A non-trivial solution exists only if the determinant of the system if zero.

Last edited:
voko said:
An inhomogeneous linear system always has a trivial - all zeros - solution.

You meant homogeneous linear system...

ehild

ehild said:
You meant homogeneous linear system...

Thanks for pointing this out!

oh okay. I just always learned that a matrix is invertible if determinant≠0. So there exists one solution. What is the basic difference between that case for inhomogenous systems and this one, in which you somehow find solutions when the matrix is non-invertible?

The basic difference is that (when det A = 0) the inhomogeneous system may have no solutions or may have infinitely many. The homogeneous system always has at least one solution (all zeros), and (when det A = 0) it has infinitely many non-zero solutions. You may want to read up on the theory of linear systems.

1. What is a linear equation for amplitude factors?

A linear equation for amplitude factors is a mathematical equation that represents the relationship between the amplitude of a wave and its corresponding factors, such as frequency or wavelength. It is typically written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

2. How is the amplitude factor calculated in a linear equation?

The amplitude factor in a linear equation is calculated by finding the value of y when x is equal to 0. This is because the y-intercept (b) represents the amplitude, and when x is 0, the only remaining value in the equation is b.

3. What is the significance of a linear equation for amplitude factors in scientific research?

Linear equations for amplitude factors are commonly used in scientific research to analyze and predict the behavior of waves. They allow scientists to accurately measure and manipulate the amplitude of a wave, which is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

4. Can a linear equation for amplitude factors be used for non-linear waves?

No, a linear equation for amplitude factors can only be used for linear waves. Non-linear waves, such as sound waves, do not follow a linear relationship between amplitude and its corresponding factors, and therefore require different equations to describe their behavior.

5. What are some practical applications of linear equations for amplitude factors?

Linear equations for amplitude factors have numerous practical applications, including signal processing, sound engineering, and image processing. They are also used in fields such as earthquake seismology and medical imaging to analyze and interpret wave data.