Linear expansion coefficient of glass

In summary, the linear expansion coefficient of glass is 9 × 10−6 (◦C)−1. An automobile windshield has dimensions of 60 cm by 400 cm. If the temperature changes by 150◦F, the windshield needs to have a spacing of at least 2.36 mm around each end to prevent it from breaking.
nslinker
Given: The linear expansion coefficient of glass is 9 × 10−6 (◦C)−1. An automobile windshield has dimensions of 60 cm by 400 cm. What minimum spacing around the wind-shield is needed to prevent the windshield from breaking if the temperature changes by 150◦F? Answer in units of mm.

I understand I use the equation alpha*Length*delta(t) but it won't pop out the right answer and I think the dimensions are what is throwing me off. Any advice is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you did. I would have chosen the 400 cm dimension to work with, as it will change the most. Did you convert the temp change to degrees C?

I did not change to degrees Celsius. The conversion is (5/9)*(150-32) so my new temp is 65.556. Also, I have to change cm -> mm. so the dimension would be 4000 mm. So, my final equation would be (9e-6)(4000)(65.556) ??

nslinker said:
So, my final equation would be (9e-6)(4000)(65.556) ??
Yes, but don't forget that that's the total increase in that dimension. So what minimum spacing would you need at each end?

My answer from that comes out to be 2.36 but I don't know how to find the minimum spacing piece that you're talking about.

If the entire glass expands by 2.36, how much space do you have to allow at each end?

the given dimensions + expansion value.

so i don't know if you allready figured out your problem... but i just did that exact problem. the error that you made was that the temp that is given is a (delta t). to convert from F to C it is just (delta t)*(5/9)... you don't subtract 32. that should fix it! after that it is just:

delta L = alpha*Lo*delta t and that should be your answer.

mochi12 said:
the error that you made was that the temp that is given is a (delta t). to convert from F to C it is just (delta t)*(5/9)... you don't subtract 32.
Good catch! (I wasn't paying attention when the OP did the conversion. :uhh:)

nslinker said:
I did not change to degrees Celsius. The conversion is (5/9)*(150-32) so my new temp is 65.556.
Fix that conversion. You're converting a temperature change, not a temperature.

1. What is the linear expansion coefficient of glass?

The linear expansion coefficient of glass is a measure of how much a piece of glass will expand or contract when its temperature changes. It is typically denoted by the Greek letter alpha (α) and is expressed in units of length per unit temperature (e.g. mm/°C).

2. How is the linear expansion coefficient of glass determined?

The linear expansion coefficient of glass is typically determined experimentally by measuring the change in length of a piece of glass as it is heated or cooled over a known temperature range. This data is then used to calculate the average expansion coefficient.

3. Does the linear expansion coefficient of glass vary with temperature?

Yes, the linear expansion coefficient of glass is not constant and can vary with temperature. In general, the expansion coefficient increases with higher temperatures, meaning that glass will expand more as it gets hotter.

4. What factors can affect the linear expansion coefficient of glass?

The linear expansion coefficient of glass can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of glass, its chemical composition, the temperature range being measured, and the way in which the glass is being heated or cooled.

5. Why is the linear expansion coefficient of glass important?

The linear expansion coefficient of glass is important in various applications, such as in the production of glass products to ensure proper fit and function, in the design of glass structures to prevent damage from thermal expansion, and in the calibration of temperature measurement devices.