1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Expansion related to area expansion

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An automobile windshild has dimensions of 60 cm by 150 cm. What minimum tolerance in mm is needed to prevent the windshield from breaking if the temperature changes by 200 degrees Farenheight? (The linear expansion coeffecient of galss is 9 x 10[tex]^{}-6[/tex]
    (C)-1

2. Relevant equations
    area expansion = Ai(Area expansion coefficient)(Change in Temp)
    Area expansion coefficient=2(Linear expansion coefficient)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found my area to be 900,000 mm2 The change in temperature 111 Degrees Celsius. but I'm not getting the right answer when I multiply 2(Linear expansion coefficient)
    I'm getting a huge number for my final answer when it should be really small.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You don't need to consider anything beyond linear expansion. They are looking for an answer in mm.

4. Jan 24, 2009 #3
    So do I use the 60 mm or the 150 mm? I figured I was trying to over think it.

5. Jan 25, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good question. Each dimension would have a different answer. If I had to pick, I'd go with the larger dimension. (Note that those measurements are in cm, not mm.)

6. Jan 25, 2009 #5
    ok, I'll try them both! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?