Linear expansion of a rod from 5°C to 35°C

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Wei
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
A uniform rod of a length of 2.0 m at 5ºC has a coefficient of linear expansion of 5.0 × 10^-4 K^-1. How much longer is it when the temperature is 35ºC?

I want to know the procedure to solve this problem

This isn't hw, but I'm wondering how to solve it when it's K ^-1
Just trying to get some practice.
Currently taking AP Physics 2; Passed this topic last semester and reviewing
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think K-1 just means 1/K, meaning that it's a change of 5.0x10-4 per change in kelvin.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wei
Drakkith said:
I think K-1 just means 1/K, meaning that it's a change of 5.0x10-4 per change in kelvin.
Oh that's what it means? Since it was K^-1 I just assumed that it was 1/5.0x10^-4 K
Ok Thanks!
 
here is the equation for linear expansion.
L=Li+Li*k*change in tempature, units are L=length after tempature change in celsius or kelvin, Li=length before tempature change, k=constant that is the linear expanison coefiicient units are 1/k or 1/c, tempature=measured in celsius or kelvin.
by the way for volume expansion just multiply the linear expansion by 3.
this equation could be very helpful if you have a chart of the linear expansion coefficients.