1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Harmonic Oscilator - QM

1. Jan 13, 2007 #1
    Just a quickie:

A particle is in the first excited Eigenstate of energy E corresponding to the one dimensional potential V(x) = [tex]\frac{Kx^2}{2}[/tex]. Draw the wavefunction of this state, marking where the particles KE is negative.

Now my question.

The first excited state will be n=1 correct? The first excited state is not the ground state under a different name is it?

So if it is n=1, then the wavefunction will look like a sin wave? And the KE will be negative on the left hand side of the sin wave (i.e. where a graph of sin(x) will be negative.)?

Ta guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you'll have to do more than just guess. But here's a hint. The first excited state is indeed not the ground state. It has one node in the wavefunction. The ground state has zero.

4. Jan 13, 2007 #3
    Well I've drawn the right form of the wavefunction at least. Whether or not I've correctly identified where the KE is negative I don't know. Back to the text book I go!

5. Jan 13, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Great idea! Once you have the wavefunctions remember KE is an operator on wavefunctions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?