Generalizing Linear Independence: Beyond R^n and into Matrix Spaces

• Thread starter schaefera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, to test for linear independence of vectors in a space, you need to set up the equation c_1\mathbf{v}_1+ c_2\mathbf{v}_2+...+c_n\mathbf{v}_n=0 and check to see if all the scalars c_i are zero. For continuous functions,polynomials, or vectors in any other space, this method will work as long as the vectors are linearly independent.
schaefera
To text whether n vectors in R^n are linearly independent, you put those vectors in a matrix and take its determinant.

How can this be generalized beyond vectors in R^n-- say to the space of matrices in R^(mxn)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey schaefera.

In this new space do you have mxn vectors in mxn space? If so you do exactly the same thing except your matrix is (mxn)x(mxn).

If you want to check whether any set of vectors are linearly dependent (below the dimension of the space), simply put the vectors in a matrix and do a reduced-row echelon reduction on the matrix and see what it's rank is. The rank will give you the number of linearly independent vectors for that set that you entered in.

How about for the space of continuous functions? Polynomials? Does the method ever break down?

The question of linear independence of a finite amount of vectors can be thought of as asking about solutions to the equation: [tex] c_1\mathbf{v}_1+ c_2\mathbf{v}_2+...+c_n\mathbf{v}_n= \mathbf{0}[/tex] where [itex]\mathbf{v}_i \in V[/itex] are the vectors you are testing for linear independence and [itex] c_i \in F[/itex] are scalars in your field [itex]F[/itex]. The vectors [itex]\mathbf{v}_i[/itex] will be linearly independent if and only if all the scalars, [itex] c_1,c_2,...,c_n[/itex] are zero. Said another way: [tex]c_1\mathbf{v}_1+ c_2\mathbf{v}_2+...+c_n\mathbf{v}_n= \mathbf{0} \Rightarrow c_1,c_2,...,c_n=0[/tex] So to test a set of vectors for linear independence you set up the above equation and check to see if all the scalars [itex]c_i[/itex] are zero. How exactly you go about checking that is more or less dependent on what vector space you're dealing with. As for the case of infinitely many vectors I'm not 100% sure, so I won't comment.

What Gamble93 gives is the usual definition of "linear independence". Requiring that a matrix having non-zero determinant is a specific property.

I realized after my post that I should have included that a non zero determinant implying linear independence is a specific case that applies to [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] but I was late for class so it slipped my mind. Excuse my ignorance.

FAQ: Generalizing Linear Independence: Beyond R^n and into Matrix Spaces

1. What is "Linear Independence Outside R^n"?

Linear Independence Outside R^n is a concept in linear algebra that deals with the linear combination of vectors in a space that is not restricted to the standard coordinate system of R^n. It explores the idea of linear independence in more general vector spaces.

2. Why is linear independence important outside R^n?

Linear independence is important outside R^n because it allows us to generalize the concept to other vector spaces, which opens up new possibilities for solving problems in mathematics and other fields such as physics and engineering. It also helps us understand the properties of vector spaces in a more abstract and fundamental way.

3. How do you determine linear independence outside R^n?

To determine linear independence outside R^n, we use the same approach as in R^n by setting up a system of equations and solving for the coefficients of the vectors in the linear combination. If the only solution is the trivial solution (all coefficients are zero), then the vectors are linearly independent. Otherwise, they are linearly dependent.

4. Can linearly independent vectors outside R^n be linearly dependent in R^n?

Yes, it is possible for vectors to be linearly independent outside R^n but linearly dependent in R^n. This is because the standard coordinate system of R^n imposes certain restrictions on the linear combination of vectors that may not exist in other vector spaces.

5. How is linear independence outside R^n used in real-world applications?

Linear independence outside R^n has many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, machine learning, and data analysis. It allows us to represent and manipulate data in higher-dimensional spaces, which can lead to more accurate and efficient calculations and predictions. It is also used in physics to describe the behavior of objects in non-Euclidean spaces.

Back