Linear mapping of a binary vector based on its decimal value

In summary, Given an ##N## dimensional binary vector ##\mathbf{v}## whose conversion to decimal is equal to ##j##, there exists a way to linearly map the vector ##\mathbf{v}## to an ##{2^N}## dimensional binary vector ##\mathbf{e}## whose ##(j+1)##-th element is equal to ##1## (assuming the index starts from zero) using the formula $$\mathbf{e} = \mathbf{B} \left( \prod_{i = 1}^N ( v_i \mathbf{W}_i + (1-v_i)\mathbf{I}_N ) \right
smehdi
Given an ##N## dimensional binary vector ##\mathbf{v}## whose conversion to decimal is equal to ##j##, is there a way to linearly map the vector ##\mathbf{v}## to an ##{2^N}## dimensional binary vector ##\mathbf{e}## whose ##(j+1)##-th element is equal to ##1## (assuming the index starts from zero)?

For instance if ##\mathbf{v} = [1 \quad 0 \quad1]## or ##\mathbf{v} = [0 \quad 1 \quad1]## (that represent 5 and 3 in decimal, respectively), how ##\mathbf{v}## can be linearly mapped (with a unique mapper of course) to ##\mathbf{e}^\mathrm{T} = [0\quad 0\quad 0\quad 0\quad 0\quad 1 \quad 0 \quad 0]## and ##\mathbf{e}^\mathrm{T} = [0\quad 0\quad 0\quad 1 \quad 0\quad 0 \quad 0 \quad 0]##, respectively.

This is a part of an objective function of a MILP. I guess such a mapper does not exist but hopefully, I am wrong!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
smehdi said:
(that represent 5 and 3 in decimal, respectively)
Have you reversed the respectively ?
v = [ 1 0 1 ] = 5 → 25 → 32 ≠ [ 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 ]
v = [ 0 1 1 ] = 3 → 23 → 8 ≠ [ 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 ]

Baluncore said:
Have you reversed the respectively ?
v = [ 1 0 1 ] = 5 → 25 → 32 ≠ [ 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 ]
v = [ 0 1 1 ] = 3 → 23 → 8 ≠ [ 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 ]
Depends on the index of the elements in ##\mathbf{e}##.
If we start the index from left and from zeor then,
v = [ 1 0 1 ] = 5 → (make the (5+1)-th element of ##\mathbf{e}## equal to 1 where the index starts from zero and from left) → ##\mathbf{e} = [0 \quad 0 \quad 0 \quad 0 \quad 0 \quad 1 \quad 0 \quad 0 \quad]##

Very much similar to what you told but the other way around. Actually a column vector ##\mathbf{e}^\mathrm{T}## would avoid confusion. I changed the ##\mathbf{e}## vectors in the first post to ##\mathbf{e}^\mathrm{T}##.

The difficulty here is, that there are no vector spaces around, only different ways of writing the same number. Binary as the usual 2-adic number, i.e. a polynomial over ##\mathbb{F}_2##, which could be seen as a vector space (of infinite dimension), and then by counting indices, which isn't even decimal, more a tally stick.

The worse thing is that I even do not know if a linear mapping for such a problem exists or not.
If one can prove that it exists, then half of the problem is solved. Even if I know that such a map does not exist I will start modeling my problem from scratch in a different way.

Using matrix shift and multiple transformations one can get the result but in this way, the number of shifts required for an ##N## bit number is ##2^N## shifts while the size of my problem is about ##N=20##.

smehdi said:
Using matrix shift and multiple transformations one can get the result but in this way, the number of shifts required for an NNN bit number is 2N2N2^N shifts while the size of my problem is about N=20N=20N=20.

You are computing an exponential; [result] = 2^[input].
For N=20 you will need a mega_bit sized variable for the result.
What do you do with the result?
Why must you expand it out to only 1 bit set in 2^N elements before it is used.

There is a binary O(N) solution that does not require 2^N single bit shifts.
Start with a [ 1 ]. Work along and up the input, if an element is set, concatenate 2^N more zero elements onto the end of the result .
Update the 2^N by doubling it in each of the N loops.

Likes smehdi and fresh_42
Baluncore said:
You are computing an exponential; [result] = 2^[input].
For N=20 you will need a mega_bit sized variable for the result.
What do you do with the result?
Why must you expand it out to only 1 bit set in 2^N elements before it is used.

There is a binary O(N) solution that does not require 2^N single bit shifts.
Start with a [ 1 ]. Work along and up the input, if an element is set, concatenate 2^N more zero elements onto the end of the result .
Update the 2^N by doubling it in each of the N loops.

Well, I found the solution by shifting.
Actually, the result has ##2^N## cases equivalent to the number of combinations of ##N## binary variables. Instead of using ##2^N## binary variables for each of the ##2^N## cases, I want to use ##N## binary variables and map them to the results and find the best one.
Assuming ##\mathbf{v} = [v_N \dots v_1]## that represents the value of ##d## in decimal, the ##(d+1)##-th row of ##\mathbf{a}## is one if:
$$\mathbf{a} = \mathbf{B} \left( \prod_{i = 1}^N ( v_i \mathbf{W}_i + (1-v_i)\mathbf{I}_N ) \right)$$
in which ##\mathbf{I}_N## is an identitiy matrix with size ##N##, ##\mathbf{B}## is a matrix similar to ##\mathbf{I}_N## except its first row of the first column is zero, i.e., ##\mathbf{B} (1,1) = 0##, and ##\mathbf{W}_i## is a shifted version of ##\mathbf{I}_N## with ##2^{(i-1)}## rows down shift.

1. What is a linear mapping of a binary vector based on its decimal value?

A linear mapping of a binary vector based on its decimal value is a mathematical process that assigns a unique value to each vector in a given set of binary vectors. This value is determined by converting the binary representation of the vector to its decimal equivalent, and then applying a linear function to that decimal value.

2. What is the purpose of linear mapping in this context?

The purpose of linear mapping in this context is to provide a way to efficiently represent and manipulate binary vectors using decimal values. This can be useful in various applications, such as data compression, error correction, and data encryption.

3. How is a linear mapping function determined for a binary vector?

A linear mapping function for a binary vector is determined by choosing a set of coefficients that define the linear function to be applied to the decimal value of the vector. These coefficients can be adjusted to achieve desired properties, such as preserving vector distances or minimizing error rates.

4. Can a linear mapping of a binary vector be reversed?

Yes, a linear mapping of a binary vector can be reversed by applying the inverse of the linear function used in the mapping process. This will convert the decimal value back to its original binary representation.

5. Are there any limitations to linear mapping of binary vectors based on their decimal values?

One limitation of linear mapping is that it may not preserve the original properties or patterns of the binary vectors. For example, a linear mapping may result in a loss of data or a distortion of the original vector relationships. Additionally, the linear function used in the mapping process may not be able to accommodate all possible decimal values, leading to errors or inaccuracies.