1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear momentum translational problem

1. Aug 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A number of particles with masses m(1), m(2) , m(3),... are situated at the points with positions vectors r(1),r(2), r(3),... relative to an origin O. The center of mass G of the particles is defined to be the point of space with position vector

Show that if a different Origin O' were used , this definition would still place G at the same point of space

2. Relevant equations

Possibly C+R=R'

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I need to translate R to a new coordinate system , which is O', and essentially show that If a vectors moves into a new coordinate system , calling constant c the distance between the new coordinate system and the old coordinate system, I have to show the magnitude of the vectors don't changed. So here it goes:

C=R'-R=c(m1+m2+m3)/(m1+m2+m3)=c; Therefore, R=R'-C. Is that the procedure I would apply to proved That the magnitude of the vectors do not change at all as I move my position vectors into a new coordinate system?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think, if I'm reading what you have written correctly, that you have shown that if you translate all of the ri vectors by c then the center of mass moves by c? If so then doesn't that show that the center of mass is translation independent?
  4. Aug 28, 2008 #3
    I am trying to show that the magnitude of the position vectors will not change if I move my positions vectors to a new coordinate system. Isn't that what translation independence is?
  5. Aug 28, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Benzoate! :smile:

Why do you keep going on about magnitude?

Magnitude has nothing to do with it.

As Dick says:
    You have proved (very messily, and only for n = 3 … can't you use ∑ notation?) that if R is the average of R1 R2 … Rn then R+C is the average of R1+C R2+C … Rn+C.

In other words: "this definition would still place G at the same point of space". :smile:
  6. Aug 28, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The magnitude of the position vectors does change when you move the origin's location.

|ri + c| is not |ri|

But that is irrelevant to solving this problem.

Moving the origin is equivalent to adding a constant vector c to each position vector. By showing that the center of mass R becomes R + c, you prove that the CM is in the same location after the origin shift. Just as Dick said:

Edit --
    Note to self: I owe tiny-tim a beer :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?