1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear transformation arbitrary question

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose A is an mxn matrix and b is a vector in R^m. Define a function T:R^n --> R^m by T(x) = Ax + b. Prove that if T is a linear transformation then b=0.

2. Relevant equations

For the second part of the question, a transformation is linear if:

1) T(u+v) = T(u) + T(v) for all u,v in domain of T

2) T(cu) = cT(u) for all u & c (scalars)

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first part of the question, I am thrown off by the "+b" as I never saw anything other than T(x) = Ax.

However, I am leaning towards using the identity matrix I to prove T(x) = Ax, but I don't feel this will be complete...

I really need a hand getting started and I think I'll be able to pick it up from there.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Calculate T(u+v) and T(u)+T(v) with your definition of T. Are those two equal?

4. Mar 1, 2012 #3
    Thank you!

So I gave numerical values to the matrix A, & vectors b, u &v (making b a zero vector) and was able to conclude that T(u+v) = T(u) + T(v).

Since I made b a zero vector, this helps me with the second part of the problem. However, how can I connect this to the first part of the question?

Does proving this define the function? What does it mean to define the function?

5. Mar 1, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Put u and v equal to the zero vector. So if T is linear, then T(0)+T(0) should equal T(0). If T(u)=Au+b, what does that tell you about b?

6. Mar 1, 2012 #5
    Okay, I made u & v zero vectors so that T(u+v) = T(u) + T(v). (T is linear)

Now, one rule I have says that to define the function (or for T to be linear), T(0) = 0 (has to be so)

So this means that if T(u) = A(u) + b, then b has to be a zero vector as well right?

Does proving that a transformation T is linear help me in defining a function? What does it mean to define a function? (this may be a very basic question, but I can't grasp it!)

7. Mar 1, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. If T is a linear function then T(0) has to equal 0. So b has to be 0. I'm a little vague on what the rest of your question is.

8. Mar 1, 2012 #7
    You have helped a lot, thank you!

The rest of my question is really about the first part of the statement:

"Suppose A is an mxn matrix and b is a vector in R^m. Define a function T:R^n --> R^m) by T(x) = Ax + b."

Perhaps I'm over thinking it, but what does it mean to define a function in this way? How does this relate to proving that b=0 if the transformation is linear?

9. Mar 1, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, maybe overthinking it. A is a matrix with a bunch of numbers in it. No matter what those numbers are A operating on the zero vector is the zero vector. Any number times 0 is 0. So T(0)=b.

10. Mar 1, 2012 #9
    hehe Okay, I understand, but...

Just one last question:

Does what we did here (proving that b = 0 makes the transformation linear) ALSO define the function as asked in the first part of the problem statement?

11. Mar 1, 2012 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I really don't understand. Nobody is asking you to define a function. There are no two parts in the problem statement.
    The only thing they say is that you have a function f(x)=Ax+b for a matrix A and a column vector b.

12. Mar 1, 2012 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, T(x)=Ax+b defines a function. For it to be linear means b is zero. That doesn't define A at all. Why do you think it should?

13. Mar 1, 2012 #12
    I'm not sure... I think I'm really just having trouble figuring out with this question is asking.

From what I understand, together, we did the proof that was required (b=0). Is that all that is being asked for?

14. Mar 1, 2012 #13
    Definitely over thinking this, think I just had a light bulb.

Thank you guys for your time and patience!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook