1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformation: B-matrix [T]B

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be polynomials, with real coefficients, of degree at most 2. Suppose that [itex]T:V→V[/itex] is differentiation. Find the [itex]B[/itex]-matrix [T]B if B is the basis of V
    B = {1+x, x+x2, x}

2. Relevant equations
    For [itex]T:V→V[/itex] the domain and range are the same

[T]B is the matrix whose i-th column is [itex][T(vi)]_B[/itex]

[itex][T(v)]_C = A[v]_B[/itex] where [itex]A=[T]_B[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So because the degree can be at most 2, the polynomials will be of the form a+bx+cx2. This can be denoted using a(1+x)+c(x+x2)+(b-a-c)(x). It will turn into a+bx (because we take the derivative, we take powers to a max of 1) and we would say a(1+x)+0(x+x2+b(x). After this, I'm not sure how to find the B-matrix, as I'm a bit confused as to what it is exactly.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
    Well, you wrote down the formula. Here [itex] v_i [/itex] is a basis vector. So take T of each of your basis vectors, and then express [itex] T(v_i) [/itex] as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

4. Dec 7, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is T(1+ x)? What is T(x+ x^2)? What is T(x)?
    Write each of those as a linear combination of 1+ x, x+ x^2, and x and the coefficients are the columns of your matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?